"CARBON MONOXIDE" - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
CowDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Luzerne Co., 3d.
Posts: 2,144
Back To Top
"CARBON MONOXIDE"


Heating your cabin with Fossil Fuels.

Several months ago I had given the Rooster B. a lecture regarding his new heater and purchasing a CO Detector.

"I feel that this should be known by ALL, that heat their cabins using Fossil Fuels".

Fossils Fuels Are:
Gas, Oil, Wood, Coal
Also the use of Propane Gas, Natural Gas, Kerosene, etc.

Last year many of you may have heard the deaths of several hunters in their cabin in Forkston, Wyoming Co. (not far from me)..
Their deaths were attributed to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning due to the "Improper use of a Gasoline Powered Generator".

Please invest in a CO Detector, whether it is battery operated or electric operated.
I would rather wake up to the screeching wail of a CO detector going off, than not to wake up at all..

Carbon Monoxide will kill you while you sleep!

A Smoke Detector <u>will not </u>detect Carbon Monoxide Gas.

Thanks, Mike


The following is some copied information:

What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odorless, tasteless, toxic gas that has the molecular formula CO. The molecule consists of a carbon atom that is triply bonded to an oxygen atom.

Carbon Monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of the fossil fuels - gas, oil, coal and wood used in boilers, engines, oil burners, gas fires, water heaters, solid fuel appliances and open fires.

Carbon Monoxide is a commercially important chemical. It is also formed in many chemical reactions and in the thermal or incomplete decomposition of many organic materials.

Dangerous amounts of CO can accumulate when, as a result of poor installation, poor maintenance or failure or damage to an appliance in service, the fuel is not burned properly, or when rooms are poorly ventilated and the Carbon Monoxide is unable to escape.

Having no smell, taste or colour, in today's world of improved insulation and double glazing, it has become increasingly important to have good ventilation, maintain all appliances regularly and to have absolutely reliable Detector alarms installed giving both a visual and audible warning immediately there is a build-up of CO to dangerous levels.

NO SMELL and NO TASTE and NO COLOUR

And, it is for these reasons that CO Detectors are the only way to alert you to increasingly dangerous levels of CO before tragedy strikes.

What are the effects of Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon Monoxide produces the following physiological effects on people exposed to the concentrations shown:

Concentration of CO in air
Inhalation time and toxic developed

50 parts per million (ppm)
Safety level as specified by the Health and Safety Executive

200 PPM
Slight headache within 2-3 hours

400 PPM
Frontal headache within 1-2 hours, becoming widespread in 3 hours

800 PPM
Dizziness, nausea, convulsions within 45 minutes, insensible in 2 hours


Carbon Monoxide poisons by entering the lungs via the normal breathing mechanism and displacing oxygen from the bloodstream. Interruption of the normal supply of oxygen puts at risk the functions of the heart, brain and other vital functions of the body.

The above information is for a healthy adult. Persons suffering from heart or respiratory health problems, infants and small children, unborn children, expectant mothers and pets can be affected by CO poisoning more quickly than others in the household and may be the first to show symptoms.
CowDawg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 01:50 PM
RB
Sage
 
RB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Home 2F, Camp 2G & 2F
Posts: 28,459
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

Thanks Dawg...going to stick this at the top. If I would of been thinking we should of done this weeks ago and stuck it then, hopefully the warning is heeded.

Guys when you go to buy batteries for that flashlight...PICK UP A DETECTOR!!!






"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
RB is offline  
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Levittown, PA
Posts: 3,050
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

I just added one last year, it sounds when the stove door is open too long!

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
wis bang is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 02:12 AM
Regular Visitor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 56
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

<span style="color: #009900">Due to a chimney blockage in my home last year, my wife & 2 children almost died of carbon monoxide poisoning. If the dog had not thrown up, my wife could have easily sent my daughter upstairs when she complained of not feeling well. All three were only minutes from being overcome by the fumes.

Responding firemen later told me they had never had such a high reading in a home. All 3 had to under go treatment to prevent long term effects of the odorless gas. Donít think it canít happen to you. Weíre all just one squirrel away from a blocked exhaust vent killing us.

Detectors are cheap and easy to install. Do it now. It CAN happen to you.

TTS </span>

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
TTS in PA is offline  
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 02:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
OneLongShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Springbrook,PA
Posts: 3,391
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

We have two in our cabin and it's one of the best investments we have made. Better safe than dead. Buy a CO detector!
It went off about two years ago and we found out that the chimney vent was broken and we were getting some major backdraft.

Bradford County WMU3C
OneLongShot is offline  
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Sage
 
Loggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York Co.(Hunt Sullivan Co)
Posts: 23,201
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

I have one in my Camp. Heat with wall mounted ventless propane.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Loggy is offline  
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy
Heat with wall mounted ventless propane.
Just a heads up on this type of heater, the International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC) prohibits the use of these heaters in sleeping areas or bath rooms, with or without a CO detector. I don't have the ppm information here at the house but will post it later if someone wants to know the progression.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:44 AM
The Man
 
rrroae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: pa,crawford county
Posts: 6,030
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

Is there a difference between a CO detector and a gas detector?

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
rrroae is offline  
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

Yes there is a difference. Some gas detectors (professional hand held models) will detect both, however most gas detectors (presuming you mean LP) will not.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:59 AM
The Man
 
rrroae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: pa,crawford county
Posts: 6,030
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

Thanks.

Anyone recommend a good gas detector for natural gas?

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
rrroae is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome