"CARBON MONOXIDE" - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Part of the Community
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lancaster, Pa.
Posts: 112
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

On Tuesday I installed the two new CO detectors at our cabin. Again, thanks for the wake up call.....
PaGary is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kinzua Country/Moon Twp.
Posts: 1,950
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer, no smell and often just putting people to sleep. Have your furnace checked by a professional and install CO Detectors. CO exposures are often undetectable bringing on death without notice. We try our best to seal our house and camps from the cold weather making CO a more serious threat. Please purchase a detector and have your furnace checked by a professional.

Kinzua Man
Kinzua Man is offline  
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
CowDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Luzerne Co., 3d.
Posts: 2,141
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehunter
I have been a long time vister to this forum, which always has something interesting to read about. Anyway, I wanted to add my 0.02 here for some information that was not covered in this exceptionaly important topic. Where do you place a CO detector after you buy it? I would suggest that you do a little research on the enemy (CO) to learn the character traits and properties of this deadly gas at various temperatures. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe CO is typically more dense than air, thus creating a sinking gas that accumulates at the floor level and builds from that point. Usually you would want to place a detector near the floor, to alert you of the danger prior to the a high level reaching your bed elevation or second floor. I would hate to see someone doing the right thing with purchasing a detector and then installing in the wrong location beside a smoke detector on teh ceiling. Good luck and stay safe.
BoozeHunter, You are incorrect.

Carbon Monoxide is not heavier than air. Carbon Monoxide has a weight almost the same as air.
Thus, it will rise and circulate throughout your home with the warmer air.

Please follow the recommended manufacturers instructions on the proper placement of your CO detector.

Here is a link with some additional information:
http://www.homesafe.com/coalert/detect.htm

Example:
My home, I have 2 CO detectors.
I also have an oil furnace as my primary heat source in my basement with forced hot water baseboard throughout my home.
I have 1 CO detector mounted on the ceiling in my basement at the very bottom of the stairway.
The 2nd. is located on my 2nd. floor. It is mounted to the ceiling in the hallway in front of the bedrooms.
CowDawg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:22 PM
The Man
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,576
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

Decades ago in coal country, instead of natural gas, they made gas from coal -coal gas. We used if for a stove in our home.

And it caused carbon monoxide. And it seemed every winter, a family would die from a poisoning. I still remember one of my parents, always checked the pilot lights before going to bed. No detectors in those days. We had a coal furnace, that had to be "dampened" and provided no heat at night. The good ole "Daniel Boone" days.
mus42tang is offline  
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Shippensburg PA
Posts: 10,306
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

We have em as we heat by wood in the winter.

bump

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.
Swift is offline  
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Sage
 
DennyF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Cumberland County 5A
Posts: 25,034
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

Most anything that performs combustion to make heat like gas, oil or wood, uses oxygen and produces carbon monoxide. A propery functioning chimney should take care of the carbon monoxide.

We have a large woodburner in our finished basement and an oil-fired boiler in another basement room. It's why I partially open one of the basement windows for an hour or so every night, to let more fresh air in during the winter.

At camp, there's a small window about 3' from the woodstove. I let the bottom sash open about an inch, when the stove is being used.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
DennyF is offline  
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 06:12 PM
NRA
Frequent Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Central
Posts: 813
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

It's a good idea to install a cap on your chimney or fuel pipe that has a screen to keep birds and squirrels from getting in when there is no fire.
NRA is offline  
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Sage
 
DennyF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Cumberland County 5A
Posts: 25,034
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

Would be okay on a camp, but I removed the one at home. Nastiest build up of creosote and crud I've ever had on the home wood stove chimney, after just one season having the cap on. Cap is history.

Camp chimney is exterior-mounted double wall insulated SS, w/cap that came with the chimney kit. Works fine to keep things out, stove doesn't get used as hard as the one at home.

Inspect a chimney regularly and you'll know if anything has died in it, or tried to make a home.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
DennyF is offline  
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 11:15 AM
New Arrival
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Columbia County PA
Posts: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to Rem700
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

Bump for the upcoming big game season!
Rem700 is offline  
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Part of the Community
 
Lil Hatchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Chocolatetown, Pa
Posts: 227
Back To Top
Re: "CARBON MONOXIDE"

We have a old SERVEL frige in the cabin. I think it is from the late 50 or 60's. I found a recall on them and SERVEL was going to pay you money to buy a new one even if it was one of their old ones. Do a search on google, Servel Recall, if you have one.
Lil Hatchet is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome