Potter County Dreamin' - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Potter County Dreamin'

Back in the late 70's my Dads uncle Johnny passed away. During that time he owned a small simple log cabin along a small stream that fed into the Cross Fork Creek near Windfall Run about 6 miles outside Cross fork in Potter county. It was simply called the 'Whippoorwill'.

The cabin would come to be part of our families by way of those willed not wanting it.

As we traveled up there the first time we found an old hunting camp with signs of past deer camps "written" in just about every corner of the cabin. Old pots and pans, wires with sheets hung on them to seperate the sleeping areas, bunks, gun racks with old guns, pictures, old memorabilia, card decks, cigars, woolrich, etc..

I remember the smells, the look as if camp was actually still going on, but the older members had gone. The place was a little ratty, but had some great character.

My dad fixed up the place. Added a new stove, new floor, new ceiling, added a ceiling fan, new fixtures and many other items. However, much of what made this camp special was kept intact.

I remember traveling up there in winter and having to shovel off the porch top to get the weight of all the snow off. I remember snowmobiling all over them woods, riding motorcycles, fishing, hunting, hiking, skipping rocks, spotting at night for deer and bears.

We would take lots of families and friends up there to experience "Gods Country" and they would have the time of their lives. It was as if we had actually gone to another planet or country altogether. It was awesome!!

I remember running out of gas on my dirt bike in the evening about 15 miles from camp and my brother had to leave me there to go back and get my dad to come get me. I remember getting our 4x4 Suburban stuck in the snow after my dad went off the road with 4 snowmobiles in tow. I remember my Grandfather having a snowmobile accident and killing a deer in the process that he ran into. I remember running into town and going to Kinney's... loved going there. Lots of other great memories.

One of my favorite memories is the smoke that used to roll from my Grandpa's pipe with the cold winter chill and snow on the ground!! He would only smoke outside. Man, I'm not sure why that's so ingrained, but if I smell a pipe today, especially if it's burning cherry, it just takes me back.

My Grandpa isn't able to hunt anymore, but we still talk about Potter County and what the Whippoorwill meant to us and the fun we had there. He wishes he'd have bought the place from my Dad when he sold the place. Wasn't sure why he didn't, but he didn't.

I've driven by their several times since we sold it. Even pulled in when the owner was out and talked to him for a bit. Come to find out that the current owner (as of a few years ago) is only the second person to have it since it left our hands. Still has the same 'Whippoorwill' sign that my Dad had made back in the late 70's.

I'm sure many here share some great thoughts and memories that they to have wooven into their minds that will never be erased. It's a special place. And to those who currently have a camp up there. Enjoy your time, pass along memories to those you share your place with, don't take it for granted and respect the beauty and the land.

Here's the old Whippoorwill...

wingbone 15 and bobdoo like this.

Where have you been? I had to work late... Oh these? Yeah, it was 'camo day' at work again .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 03:24 AM
The Man

Re: Potter County Dreamin'

Thanks Pep!

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

That's some good stuff there Pep!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Sage

Good read
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Very nice! Potter county is a magical place for me also. I can not wait to head up to my buddys camp for rifle deer.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:58 AM

Chestnut logs , wrap around porch nestled in a valley -beautiful ! Boy , talk about a cabin that has stories .I bet you wish you still had it Peppy . Oh well , the memories sure haven't faded . Good times.

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:21 PM

Cool camp!

I used to hunt Potter county several times a year. I now belong to a camp in Clearfield county. I sure do miss God's Country though!
wingbone 15 likes this.

If you continue to do what you're doing, you'll only get what you have gotten.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:15 PM
The Man

Great post Pep, I enjoyed that!

I've been visiting and hunting Clinton Co. near the southern end of the Kettle since I was just a little kid. My father started hunting up there when he as in his late teens or early twentys in the cabin his uncles built after they returned from WWII.

Eventually we branched off and purchased our own place and then upgraded to a larger camp about 10 yrs ago but always in the same general location.

I already have a lifetime of memories up there and I hope to continue the tradition with my kids as they get older.

Again, great post!

bootmud
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 06:42 PM
The Man

Cherry and vanilla tobacco in a pipe.Aint nothin like it.

Winner of the pillow fight championship.Featherweight division
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Love the post! I have fond memories of a camp in Elk Grove. It was owned by an old drunken Welshman, and was the first camp I ever went to as a young boy. The old codger was a friend of my uncles, and he delighted in entertaining youngsters with war stories, hunting stories, and all kinds of -- he made up as he went. These were real men, who pulled real pranks. I recall two. Once, when the old man was asleep on the front porch, they scattered birdseed and peanuts around him and waited until the bear came up the steps and began licking the grub off him! Another time, while he was sleeping one off, they stole his prostetic leg( He lost the real one as a paratrooper in WWII ) and painted it orange! As a 6 year old boy, of course it was my favorite place to visit. He is long gone, but the camp is still there. I have no idea who owns it now, but whenever I am in the area I drive past just for the memories!

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page