Sullivan County - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sullivan County

Taking my 8 year old to camp this weekend as he would like to try and take a doe in the youth rifle season. Does anyone know if Dry Run Road to High Knob is open yet? We were up a few weeks ago and it was still closed as I'm assuming the bridge or road must have washed out. wonder if it will be open at all this hunting season? I believe the road coming in from World's End to High Knob is still closed from last year yet when the road washed out up near Spook Swamp as well.

Hunting is not a matter of life and death. It's more important than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:04 PM

Re: Sullivan County

I was up at the beginning of October and Dry Run was closed ,as were Mill Creek Rd. ,Camel Rd. and Walker Rd. Extensive damage . We were told that repairs would be done by hunting season (rifle) . Have not heard otherwise yet .

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks Finn. I'll check Dry Run out this weekend when we're up and ask some of the locals if they heard when things might be opened up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was just up last weekend for grouse. Dry Run Rd is still washed out (and has been now for almost 2 years!)- both ends now. I've been told too that it would be open this fall, however, I wouldn't hang my hat on it. Nothing has been done yet. All they need to do is drop a large black pipe in it and cover it with stone to make it passable? I wonder what the hold up is?

Gun Control = Using both hands, and hitting your target
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Sage

Hi Wolfie.

Was there Yesterday & road is blocked about 100 yards past Hillsgrove Ranger Station. Per talking to locals they expect to have it open by Bear Season. Never seen so much devestation in my 50 plus years of being there. Take a ride up Jacks road along the Sock...much prayers needed for folks in that area plus many along Sock and tributaries... Heard almost 100 properties destroyed between Hillsgrove & Montoursville. PGC facility along 87 really hit hard with main blg knocked off foundation... 2 camps below me along Mill creek completely gone with only block foundation remaining. Walkers Road is also still closed but Camel, Mill Creek plus Big Hollow roads all open..

Best of luck to you & your 8 yr old! !

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the info Loggy. We come up 87 on our way to camp and as you said.....the devestation is something like I've never seen before. Kind of like a bomb went off at some places. Entire camps completely washed away. Was one of the camps on Mill Creek owned by a Bruner that got washed away? I used to work with a woman that her father had a small camp right along the creek there.

My son sure is excited about getting out this evening and tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Wolfehunter - my 9 year old and I will also be up in Sullivan this weekend looking for a youth rifle doe. We're closer to Lopez but the Dushore/Forksville area was my stomping ground growing up. We still go to Dushore at least twice a month. Good luck to you guys.

Scott Meier, White Oak Lodge
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfehunter
Thanks for the info Loggy. We come up 87 on our way to camp and as you said.....the devestation is something like I've never seen before. Kind of like a bomb went off at some places. Entire camps completely washed away. Was one of the camps on Mill Creek owned by a Bruner that got washed away? I used to work with a woman that her father had a small camp right along the creek there.

My son sure is excited about getting out this evening and tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
Your much welcome Wolfie!

2 camps lost were between Brok-N-Arrow Camp & 87/Hoppestown(old Proctor Rd) intersection. Not sure who owned..

Best of luck to you & ur Son this weekend. i wont get bak to Sully till 2nd week of Fall Turkey.. sooo if ur up...break dem big flocks up for me..yelp, yelp, yelp!! lol

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

He was able to get a 50 yard shot at a doe on Friday evening. She jumped straight up and took off dragging her front leg out of sight. Never heard her crash as expected. We waited 20 minutes and decided to go check it out. We had a fair amount of blood for about 120 yards or so and my biggest fear became reality........she went on posted property. We had an issue with this land owner several years ago when my uncle hit a nice buck that ended up going on this property and he would not let us trail it. In fact he was almost hostile that we'd even asked him. Not a good situation. I guess I should have known better than to even hunt near that property but we needed to get somewhere quickly that evening.

It was a difficult moment to try and teach/mentor my son about ethics, animal recovery and respect for landowners. We did not pursue the deer any further which was an extremely difficult decision to make. I was sick to my stomach.

We'll try again in rifle season. We still had a great time in the woods together and definitely had some good bonding time in Sully!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Sage

A very difficult/trying experience for sure. We all who have hunted for a while have had similar types of times. In the long run helps in our overall growth in the sport understanding that things aren't always as rosy as you see on the TV hunts etc etc. I remember some going many years back while spending time with Dad in the field or on the water. They are just as fond of memories as others looking back years later..

Glad you were able to experience some quality Sully time with your Son!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page