The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

It’s official I’m now the owner of 34 acres!

6K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  Pa-Guy 
#1 ·
Just closed on 34 acres in McKean County. Made the decision to do it on my own and not get some buddies together to go in on it. Heard way to many horror stories to think about going that route. Took me a long while, worked my tail off and saved my pennies and bought it outright. Property is 100% timber and has a small stream flowing through it. Surrounded on 3 sides by timber company owned ground which is open to public hunting. The people on the front side own 54 acres and I got a right of way from them for the 1/4 mile to get to my property. First and only time I walked the property was in August and the foliage was real thick. Hoping to get up there soon to see all of what I really bought. Didn’t buy from a realtor just looked on onX maps at some areas I was interested in, did some digging and found some numbers made some phone calls and finally got someone that would consider selling a piece of ground. It has an old what I call a “oil pump house” on it. Tin siding and tin roof with a raised concrete slab in the center of it where the pump engine was once fastened. Will look harder at it when I’m up there again to see if it’s something I can work with a little to have shelter for a while until I save again to get a cabin on the property. It’s an awesome feeling having your own chunk of paradise and even without seeing what all it really has to offer yet. I’m sure between my wife and 3 kids we will create some awesome memories up there. With only being 33 years old I just hope it doesn’t take me another 33 years to be able to get a cabin on it!

See less See more
#2 ·
That’s awesome! Congratulations!! I’ve been looking for about a year now and have yet to find anything. I know my time will come.

It will probably come right after I invest my savings in a new kitchen.

Enjoy the memories! Have you considered maybe buying a camper just to have somewhere to sleep and have power from a generator until you build something?

#12 ·
Yea did a title search. Went through a lawyer up there well versed in real estate transactions. Owner had all the abstracts to the property and handed it over to the lawyer for review. That’s where the r.o.w came up. She said there was one very poorly written in 1942 and said she was 99% sure it would hold up in court if it became an issue but advised that if possible to get a new one signed. One phone call and a little sweet talkin got me a new one signed at no cost to me. Travel trailer is a good thought if the oil house is too far gone. Thanks for the idea!

#15 ·
Congrats. You'll never regret going it alone. I was always fussy about letting others join in, but had many years of hunting with two good friends that chipped in and helped carry the load.

Some advice on building: There's a fine line between "too small" that can make you stir crazy, if spending much time there and "too big", that really runs up the taxes.

Originally had a 19' travel trailer, with REC electricity. Then eventually threw up a 12x20 one room cabin, drilled well and pit w/hydrant for water. Added on several years later, for indoor plumbing, bunk room and a bedroom. Original 12x20 became combo kitchen area/LR, with a 4x8 popped out the back for the table.

A covered outside porch makes a big difference in extra elbow room, at a small cabin. Closed in one end of the porch, side the wind usually comes from.

Place wound up being a tad over 800 square feet, just enough room to accommodate a maximum of sleeping space for six people. But the most we've ever had, was five. Wouldn't want it any smaller, no need for it to be any larger.

Best wishes.

#17 ·
Congrats. You'll never regret going it alone. I was always fussy about letting others join in, but had many years of hunting with two good friends that chipped in and helped carry the load.

Some advice on building: There's a fine line between "too small" that can make you stir crazy, if spending much time there and "too big", that really runs up the taxes.

Originally had a 19' travel trailer, with REC electricity. Then eventually threw up a 12x20 one room cabin, drilled well and pit w/hydrant for water. Added on several years later, for indoor plumbing, bunk room and a bedroom. Original 12x20 became combo kitchen area/LR, with a 4x8 popped out the back for the table.

A covered outside porch makes a big difference in extra elbow room, at a small cabin. Closed in one end of the porch, side the wind usually comes from.

Place wound up being a tad over 800 square feet, just enough room to accommodate a maximum of sleeping space for six people. But the most we've ever had, was five. Wouldn't want it any smaller, no need for it to be any larger.

Best wishes.
Good luck, We have a camp in Mckean also.

#18 ·
Congratulations, you wont regret going solo on it, it's something that generations of your family can enjoy. I retired when I was 46 and bought my in-laws mountain farm out right, it hasn't been farmed since the late 50's so it's mostly timber and has always been great hunting and now I get to live where I hunt, it's my full time job. The hours suck but, I can live with it. The only thing that can make it even better than it is, is to get rid of the rent that I have to pay to the school district.

#19 ·
Congrats!!! You won't be sorry. AND.. you have water on it! When I did this, I had mostly fields with some woods with water. I brought in a forester for some advise. He ask me, "What do you want to do here?" I said, "Raise deer." He said, "Cut down everything (hinge cut some) that doesn't produce a nut or fruit. Leave some nice Pines. Have a lumber company come in and take out the logs. Don't expect to make any money on this. Remember, you are NOT selling any oak, etc. The purpose of having them come in is so their equipment will stir up the forest floor and you will have a lot of new growth, starting with briers, then saplings, etc. He told me there are a lot of seeds laying there dormant. This will all change.
Wow, was he ever right! Pick about 8 acres in the middle for this and then treat it like a sanctuary. You absolutely will not believe the results! (We expect a report back 2 years after the timbering) Those deer will recognize your sanctuary in one year. Remember, all you have to do is mark the trees you want cut. They will do the rest.

#23 ·
Congrats, man! It's a great feeling, right? You did very well on multiple fronts. First, buying solo was the smartest part of the whole deal. The multi-owner thing tends to fall apart far too frequently, and friendships get destroyed in the wake.

Second, you got a place with running water. THAT is going to be clutch. I'm in the same boat with my place, and convinced that it's a major part of why the turkey, in particular, are always around. You should have a blast scouting and hunting nearby that thing.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.