8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Question on tree planting for privacy.

There are 5 camps on our lane. Last month my neighbor on my one side, and another behind me had a lot of trees logged off their property. This basically took away a lot of the seclusion we had from each other. I'm looking for suggestions as to some pine plantings that will grow quickly and provide me the privacy I had prior. Also-- we have bears in the area, so what is a good way to keep the trees from becoming scratching posts until they are old enough to handle it?

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 04:37 PM

If you are using them to eliminate the view from the neighbors you will want something that stays full to eye level and below not all every greens do that over the years. If you google evergreens for fencing I think you will get some very good ideas.

I don't live in bear country; however, for two years now the use of hanging 1/2 bars of Irish Spring has done an excellent job of keeping the deer away from our evergreens and new planted small caliper trees....maples, gum and dogwood.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 04:52 PM
The Man

Hard to beat arbor vitae for a fast growing screening tree...keeping the deer off them can be problematic.
Wainzoid and Hittingguru like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 05:22 PM
The Man

Norway spruce is your huckleberry
bearhollow and simoncool like this.

demokraten saugen
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 05:25 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
Norway spruce is your huckleberry
With the exception that when planted close to the road in areas that are left uninhabited, they may tend to disappear around Christmas.
bearhollow and Laylow like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
Hard to beat arbor vitae for a fast growing screening tree...keeping the deer off them can be problematic.
This... Spruce are good too, but in 30 years they’ll thin out bad down low as they get tall.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 06:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

White pine is fast growing. Norway spruce are good and more deer resistant then white pine. I would try to buy some that are already 3-4 feet. It’ll cost more but the deer won’t eat them and it’ll save about 5 years of growing time, and look more established.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 07:30 PM

Giant Arborvitae ... grow 3-5' per year. Spread of 12-18' requires less plantings. planted 10-12 feet apart will close in well under a decade.
Or stagger 2 rows and cut that time in half again... also creates a travel corridor for the animals.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 07:50 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
This... Spruce are good too, but in 30 years they’ll thin out bad down low as they get tall.
You need to plant a minimum of 3 rows. 6 foot spacing IN the row and BETWEEN the rows. Spruce don't "thin out bad down low" until they start growing into one another. At that point, you thin the patch selectively to keep them growing down low.

Whatever you do...……......don't plant Colorado Blue Spruce. Fungal infestations going around that they wont survive unless you plan to make a full-time job of spraying them. And even then...……….iffy.

demokraten saugen
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 07:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Colorodo blue spruce and agree with simoncool. don`t plant to close to the road or they will disappear , unless you have a trail camera or security cameras pointed in that direction. good luck on your decision

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page