Solar system - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Grouse28
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Unread 12-28-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Solar system

Looking to install a solar system this spring at my cabin. Not looking to power the whole place, just some lights, tv and frig.

Any recommendations of a supplier ?

"You meet a better class of people in the dark."
-LP

Ever get lonely? Remember the NSA is right there with you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Unread 12-29-2019, 12:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

For a decent solar system you need to start with a sun and at least a half a dozen planets.
Have no contracts for this, maybe speak with God he has built thousands. 🙂
deerchaser, Vonfoust and simoncool like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Unread 12-29-2019, 04:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

try your local electric company for recommendations or local electrical contractor for recommendations or go online and do a search for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Unread 12-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Part of the Community

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Unread 12-31-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Good vid on the subject I came across

-LP

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Unread 01-08-2020, 12:56 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Looking to install a solar system this spring at my cabin. Not looking to power the whole place, just some lights, tv and frig.

Any recommendations of a supplier ?

Does your place have electric now?

My place is only solar powered. All lights inside are 12 volt. Fridge is propane. only run generator to run power tools or A/C when wife is around.

It it was more efficient to run 12v only then to boost to 120 AC.

Take an energy audit of what you want to run then you can get a solar system. It is very easy to get parts and build yourself.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Unread 01-09-2020, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

No power at my place but is available. What I will spend to bring in power will pay for a small system and not have a monthly expense.

My cabin is used mainly for seasonal, long weekend getaways ( May to October, I hunt locally ) and am only looking to keep a small frig going continuously and use a tv/ dvd for the occasional rainy days and a pump for showers. I have a abundance of oil lamps for lighting but being able to flip a switch for that 2 am trip to the back porch would be convenient. Off season the system will be mothballed

I understand your thoughts of 12v lighting but I have no room for a mechanical area in the cabin so the system is going to be housed in a shed some 60’ away and would have to contend with increasing wire size to accommodate voltage drop vrs inverters to 120 with led lights

-LP

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Unread 01-09-2020, 04:52 PM
Regular Visitor

I see your issue. You can run 6 or 8 AWG from the shed to cabin and then branch off with 14 or even 16 to the lights. 12 volt LED lights draw so little current I do not think you will have an issue with voltage drop.

Just keep in mind, for every 1 amp (120 watts) you draw on 120 volts you will draw, at least, 10 amps from a 12 volt battery. Make sure you have big enough wire from your batteries to your inverter.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Unread 01-09-2020, 05:19 PM

When you start talking inverters and such, you are getting into money that might not need to be spent. Guy down the road was not connected to the grid for several years. He had two smaller solar panels on the roof and a couple of small windturbines. In the basement of his place he had a bank of marine deep cycle batteries.. He used 12 volt led bulbs through out the house and had a 12 volt coffee pot, 12 volt electric sauce pan, 12 volt color tv set and a 12 volt refrigerator. Propane stove and water heater. The panels and turbines would generate enough for the three day weekends that he came to stay. If he was staying longer, he had a long heavy 12 volt cord that he plugged into his work truck. He let the truck run for about 15 minutes and that would charge his batteries enough for another day. Of course if it was real windy, the 2 - 450 watt turbines could keep the place powered. Gus grew up on an island in the Mediteranean where folks didn't have grid power. He wanted nothing to do with an inverter to run things, he said it "lost" too much power in the conversion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in