Out of State Camp/Land - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
tlh
Regular Visitor

Out of State Camp/Land

I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones that doesn't lack for places to hunt in PA. I've decided I want to branch out and start hunting other states and I am considering buying a camp or land in a bordering state. I'm looking for input from those who own or hunt bordering states on what to look for and what to stay away from. I live in the west hills of Pittsburgh but also own a place in Espyville on Pymatuning so I'd like to keep the driving distance under maybe an hour from either of those places. Further than that and I'm not sure I'd use it enough to justify having it. I spent some time Saturday looking at some places in Ashtabula County, Oh that I found online and learned quickly that this could be a very frustrating endeavor. I started out thinking 10 acres might be ok for a camp but after looking at a few properties it seemed that just wasn't the case with the way these properties were laid out. 10 acres seemed very small. So I think I'm looking at a minimum of 20 acres if I buy in another state. I have a budget in mind, but it seems that even without mineral rights some of these asking prices for properties is very high. With the driving time restrictions I feel I would be limited to Ohio and West Virginia. With all of this being said I'm looking for some input/answers from those that have out of state properties for the following questions:

Is 20 Acres big enough?
What counties should I be looking in in these 2 states?
Are there any restriction on out of state land owners in either state that I need to be concerned with?
Are there any definite areas to stay away from?
Is $2200 to $3000 an acre unrealistic for unimproved land? (no camp, utilities, etc)
Other than online real estate sites and search engines, where would I look for property listings?

I'm sure I'm overlooking some very important questions, but these are the ones I can think of right now. Thanks in advance for any and all input and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 05:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

20 acres is not enough if you are looking to hunt it as your own spot, unless it is a super deer area. 20 acres is only a square 311 yards on a side.
Then you have the issue of trespassers while you are not there, maybe even while you are there. Excuses will be the typical, I didnít see the signs, Iíve always hunted this area, etc. You will be the new kid on the block and an out of stater at that. Any enforcement will only make it worse.
I would just buy a camp or house on a small plot of land near state or national land and hunt that.
If just for hunting for a week or so I would consider a camper or TT, that way you have the mobility to hunt various areas.
MDsurveyor527 likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 05:40 PM

I was in your shoes a few years ago. What I found was in the price range that you are looking for, you probably need to go to SE Ohio or across the river in WV. Deer population is lower than around here, but there is still deer. Big hills and big woods there. Lots of public ground so you may not need to buy much land.

For search engines I would use landwatch. I found about all of my potential places there.

Another recommendation is figure out what you can afford and how you would finance (if necessary). Banks are funny about land only mortgages. Usually have to use a small bank or credit union. A better option if you own your home is to use a home equity line on it.

I made a decision when I started looking that the property had to be within 2 hrs. Our camp is 2 hrs on the nose. That is close enough that I can day hunt if I want to.
treefisher and limbhnger10 like this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 06:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

good advice cspot
cspot likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 08:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

IMO 20 acres is enough for one person to harvest a deer or two annually if you have decent habitat.My guess is you will want to continually improve your land anyway .Cspot is right two hours is manageable. I'm three and a half hours, it makes projects and day trips more cumbersome. Don't look back... best decision you will ever make. Memories too be made !
cspot likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 08:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was looking for property in southern Ohio and have changed plans because I only hunt public land in that area. I'm looking for a camp/cabin in that area and there is not many available. Ohio doesn't have many camps like Pa. and your only option is an older small house someone has for sale and most of them are to near a town for me. I'm looking for an acre or two that I can get utilities and park my camper until I can build a camp or just go with a modular style cabin.

The older I get the better I was.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 08:37 PM

I'd look in Trumbull county Ohio
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 09:49 PM

I'd feel claustrophobic on anything less than 500, maybe 1,000 acres which is why I'll probably never own hunting property. 20 acres is tough. My pap owns 25 and I've hunted it once or twice in my life, its just too small to have anything going on. Assuming you have great habitat and no tresspasser issues, that's room for one guy to bowhunt very sparingly and maybe at best 2 or 3 first day of gun stands with the boomsticks if your habitat is optimal and deer are being chased into your property from the neighbors.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 11:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Had 26 acres in Ohio. My brother and I hunted it during the rut with great success. It was always happening during the rut. It was really a very nice piece that was the perfect mix and lay out. We actually could have hunted with two more people that would have never seen each other!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 03:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

dad and hunt in state ,nothing wrong with hunting out state , just never did. dad and I have 26 acres and aren`t close to each other and can`t see each other. like NECK SHOT said we could have another 2 people on with us with out any problems as well. good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page