WARNING! Be Careful What You Post!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

WARNING! Be Careful What You Post!!!

Back in July I posted a pictorial about putting a new roof over the front room at camp. Here is that link:

Front Room Gets A New Roof

AS A RESULT OF THAT POSTING A DEP OFFICER VISITED MY CAMP PROPERTY AND I WAS ISSUED TWO CITATIONS. ONE FOR BURNING A COUCH, MATTRESS AND ROOFING MATERIAL AND ONE FOR OPERATING A SOLID WASTE DISPOSAL FACILITY WITHOUT A DEP PERMIT. FINES AND COSTS TOTAL $577.00.

The couch and mattress were from a pictorial previous to the roofing pictorial:

Turkey Camp Pictoial

Whistle-blowers rarely reveal themselves so I will never know who reported me but if you read the roofing thread you will see that one member had a major problem with the burning, to the point where he became abusive and his second posting to that thread was removed.

I will also likely never know how my personal information was obtained; both my camp and home addresses were made available to the DEP.

I WANT TO MAKE IT PERFECTLY CLEAR THAT HUNTINGPA.COM HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH MY PERSONAL INFORMATION BEING GIVEN TO THE DEP OR ANYONE ELSE.
I have been in contact with HPA administration and it has been correctly pointed out that even had the desire to provide my information existed (which it did not) that information is simply not available to HPA. The only information HPA has on members is an IP and an email. No amount of digging could reveal more than that unless a member has willingly provided additional information in his/her profile or postings.

As a result of what has happened I will no longer be posting pictorials about camp life. I did not reach that decision easily. I really enjoyed doing the pictorials over the years; it was a good way to relive the fun and judging by the large number of positive responses Iíve always received, many members seemed to enjoy them as much as I did.

Rooster has allowed me to repost this because he believes, as do I, that it can serve as an important reminder for all members to be very cautious about what they post.

Eh...wot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: WARNING! Be Careful What You Post!!!

Sorry to hear that Lugnut I always enjoyed you pictorials.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Sorry for your misfortune. That's crazy! Dep. officer had nothing better to do. I bet he personally knows the "hater" that reported the info personally. Thanks for not dumping the waste and couch illegaly like I see all over the place. Thanks for the post. A lesson was just learned! Good luck during this years seasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear that. I guess one can never be too careful.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not to stir the pot but under certain situations, someone could find out your address via your IP address. Im not saying its easy or something everyone could do but authorities can determine a physical address with help from the ISP if needed for a legal issue.

Nor am I implying this happened here, Im only stating the facts. Also, remember cellphones and modern digital cameras have geotag. Your physical location (coordinates) when taking a picture is recorded if geotagging is turned on.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:10 PM

I guess its a good thing every member on here who did have a camp sold them so this sort of thing won't happen again.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 PM

You got to be kidding me... This is the BEST hunting forum site and we have those types of folks on this site.... Unbelievable!!!! Now it's a party!

SGT
United States Marine Corps
1992 to 1997
HMH-464 Avionics
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothHunter
This is the BEST hunting forum site
I agree, I've been a member here for 9 1/2 years and I think this place has always been best hunting site going and not just for Pa.

Eh...wot?
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothHunter
This is the BEST hunting forum site
I agree, I've been a member here for 9 1/2 years and I think this place has always been best hunting site going and not just for Pa.
I hope you don't stop posting pictures.... we all do enjoy them! This is just an important lesson on what pictures not to post!

SGT
United States Marine Corps
1992 to 1997
HMH-464 Avionics
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:03 PM

Sorry to hear someone would stoop that low,I have enjoyed your posts about camp. I would have taken a hearing if for no other reason make them prove it and I am not sure that just the post would be enough. It only takes a couple of lowlife indiviuals to screw it up for everyone. Hang in there and have a good hunting season.

LJS 1/25/48-11/3/13

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page