Keeping Unattended Camp Warm for a Week - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Keeping Unattended Camp Warm for a Week

We heat by propane at our camp and have never left it on when we leave after the weekend. I have left the electric on when planning to be back in a week or two. I also have drained the water every time we leave this time of year.

I plan to be at camp this weekend and again next. Does anyone have an electric heater they feel comfortable enough leaving on unattended for a week? What about leaving the propane furnace and fire place on low for the week? Seems wasteful. I am not looking for enough heat to be able to keep the water on but just some warmth to make opening camp the following weekend quicker, say ~50F. Camp is about 750 sq. ft. and not super insulated. My concern with electric is leaving something on will not be enough to keep up so it will run constantly and never cycle off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 04:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

we are in northern Potter and we use wood to heat while we are there, during the winter ,we turn the base board heat on and leave it on low until we go up in the spring and open up for the year. we also drain our water tanks and hot water heater and pipes for the winter. you should have no problem.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:40 PM

I get to camp every week, through the year. When I’m there, I heat the place with a woodburner downstairs, fireplace upstairs. About 2000 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. I have electric baseboard heaters in every room, but only leave two on upstairs, and a small one on in the utility room ( all on a low setting ). The downstairs ( basement ) would be very slow to freeze, even with very little heat. I don’t drain the water at camp, although it was set up to do that. I do shut off the city water where it comes through the wall downstairs, and I have a monitor that can check on my phone that tells me the temperature inside the building. It will send me an alert if the temperature drops below 38F. On the coldest days, -15, camp will still stay about 45F. Normally will be 53-55F in the winter.

The problem with draining/ recharging lines, on a weekly basis, is the repressuring the lines with water that are air filled. When the pressure of the the city water hits the air filled lines, it can be hard on the joints in the lines. Once or twice a season wouldn’t be bad, but I wouldn’t make a habit doing it every week.

Last edited by Bigbrownie; 12-05-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:52 PM
Sage

Never leave heat on. No problem with water freezing at my camp!

Kidding aside...if I'm just away for a week or so I have 2 baseboard elec strips I leave on low mainly to reduce time to warm-up camp when arriving. My main heat is a ventless 30,000 BTU propane wall unit.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Loggy, you could use a small propane heater for the nights you have to use the outhouse or daytime as well. that`s what we did at a friends old place before we had our camp built
Loggy likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:09 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
Never leave heat on. No problem with water freezing at my camp!

Kidding aside...if I'm just away for a week or so I have 2 baseboard elec strips I leave on low mainly to reduce time to warm-up camp when arriving. My main heat is a ventless 30,000 BTU propane wall unit.

Nice cabin Loggy
Loggy, rrroae, CROW MASTER and 1 others like this.

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPotterCo View Post
Loggy, you could use a small propane heater for the nights you have to use the outhouse or daytime as well. that`s what we did at a friends old place before we had our camp built
Thanks...many a freezing morning the big decision is to encounter the cold outhouse seat or wait till hitting the woods where many times the woods wins as the place of choice!!
peddle-paddle likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Our camp is unheated. We have propane heaters but our area is prone to power outage's so they would not work and cost is $$.Water is drained every year for the winter.
conococheague likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilySpike View Post
Our camp is unheated. We have propane heaters but our area is prone to power outage's so they would not work and cost is $$.Water is drained every year for the winter.
Maybe consider type that need no elec to operate? I know last weekend my power was out & I was warm.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
Thanks...many a freezing morning the big decision is to encounter the cold outhouse seat or wait till hitting the woods where many times the woods wins as the place of choice!!
lol, my friends camp run an extension cord to the outhouse and have a small space heater that they plug in at the camp. takes some planning, you plan ahead and plug it in before you drink your coffee if you know what I mean.

Your just jealous because I've been chatting online with babes all day!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page