Porcupine help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Porcupine help

We just bought a camp that has T1-11 siding. The siding is in good shape but there is some damage from porcupines chewing in a few areas. What can be done to cover this and prevent future damage? It is the kind of place we won’t be able to get into much in the winter once the snow flies. I was thinking of 36” rolled flashing around the perimeter and then painting to match in the spring? I’m looking for something I can do this month to prevent any chewing over the winter. Appreciate any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 05:53 PM
Banned

If you cover the damaged areas the porkies will just start chewing elsewhere. You might want to consider aluminum siding in the spring to cover all the T-11. In the mean time, you can shoot Porkies from Oct 12 to Feb 1. If you see them shoot them
Potter Co. Joe likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

How high do you think I need to go with aluminum if I do the entire perimeter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorthair View Post
How high do you think I need to go with aluminum if I do the entire perimeter?
Not knowing the layout of your cabin it is hard to say. It has to be to the point where the porkies cannot find a place where they can get a foothold to climb your siding. However, knowing how much damage woodpeckers do to T-11 siding, I would cover the entire cabin with aluminum siding, not living in porcupine country, I do not know if they chew on vinyl siding which is why I said aluminum. I have two friends that live in the woods where I hunt and they have big homes covered in T-11. Both are in the process of having their homes covered in vinyl siding because of woodpeckers.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 06:17 PM

I have trouble both at the cabin and at home with porcupines. At the cabin they don't bother the cedar siding but they do chew on the treated lumber porches. They also have the aluminum thresholds on both cabin doors chewed. Go figure.
I've also had them chew the nozzle off of my one plastic gas can.
They chew the T1-11 on my house. That's one heck of a noise in the middle of the night.
All guilty porcupines end up dead.

I would maybe try spraying ammonia around the bottom of the T1-11 with a garden sprayer. Maybe even add some cayenne pepper.

Good luck
NorthernPotterCo likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 06:47 PM
Banned

You could try live trapping with some salty pretzels as bait.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 07:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can spray the siding with any type of cayenne pepper solution. You can make one by mixing a 2 oz container of cayenne in a gallon of rubbing alcohol in a garden sprayer. Cayenne pepper won't dissolve in water. Get the stuff at the dollar store.

IMPORTANT: no open flame, mixture is flammable, but it evaporates quickly. I'm going to go far as to suggest don't have a fire in the stove (although I probably wouldn't follow my own advice here. It's safe if you use common sense). KEEP OUT OF EYES

Apply to siding, should last at least a month.

I've seen porkies eat about everything known to man!
NorthernPotterCo likes this.

Last edited by simoncool; 12-02-2019 at 07:23 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 07:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cover anything above standing height of a Porky.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 10:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

They are destructive little critters.

As WW said, covering the chewed areas will just force them to take their dining elsewhere. I worked for a Scout Camp in NY and spent plenty of time at Elk Lick in Smethport, where I saw some of the damage these little jerks can do. I'm not sure they ever fully fixed the issue, but I know that the latrines at the campsites were ALL chewed up pretty good, and they were patching holes left and right, only to have the Porkies move to another section.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 08:43 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
If you cover the damaged areas the porkies will just start chewing elsewhere. You might want to consider aluminum siding in the spring to cover all the T-11. In the mean time, you can shoot Porkies from Oct 12 to Feb 1. If you see them shoot them

I've never seen a forester or surveyor who saw a porcupine and didn't kill it regardless of time of year. Usually with a machete.

I guess when your miles back a secluded forest road or gas line and a porky chews your brake lines, you're probably not too fond of them.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page