Ugh.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 108Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Unread 11-27-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ugh....

I’m not a fan of this Saturday start of deer season. Everyone says well you don’t have to hunt and I won’t, but my son will be. He would have been hunting on Monday anyhow. Honestly they say you don’t have to hunt, but that’s like telling a race car driver he doesn’t have to race. Of course he/she is gonna race that’s what they do. It truly ruins the camp experience and the camaraderie of owning and being part of a camp. They are jamming everything into 1. Hopefully they switch back or at least start it on Sunday next year.
For those who remember the days of the old sole doe season it was great cause you had 2 first days and another fun trip to camp with high expectations. Actually make that 3... bear, buck, and then doe.
I would love to see the real number of “new” hunters just because of the new start date, but I’m sure that will get lost along with their gas royalty fees.
delhunter, Asajoe1, bobdoo and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 12:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yeah if they insist on the Saturday start I would like to see it moved to the next weekend. To much jammed in here this weekend.
Friday traffic should be great here in central pa. Rutgers is playing at psu this weekend. Black Friday shoppers, holiday travelers, guys heading for camp. This will have to be a record for travel in pa. This weekend.
We always seem to get snow in the old doe season. Why Iíd like to see rifle moved back to cover that week.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 12:24 AM
New Arrival

I know my extended family will not be out Saturday due to obligations, and that is fine. But I never thought of opening on a Sunday now that they have 3 to choose from. I like that idea for next year!
delhunter, Asajoe1 and bobdoo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 08:12 AM
Sage

Weatherwise......this year looks like Friday will be a better travel day to camp vs Sunday!!
bohunr likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 09:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
Iím not a fan of this Saturday start of deer season. Everyone says well you donít have to hunt and I wonít, but my son will be. He would have been hunting on Monday anyhow. Honestly they say you donít have to hunt, but thatís like telling a race car driver he doesnít have to race. Of course he/she is gonna race thatís what they do. It truly ruins the camp experience and the camaraderie of owning and being part of a camp. They are jamming everything into 1. Hopefully they switch back or at least start it on Sunday next year.
For those who remember the days of the old sole doe season it was great cause you had 2 first days and another fun trip to camp with high expectations. Actually make that 3... bear, buck, and then doe.
I would love to see the real number of ďnewĒ hunters just because of the new start date, but Iím sure that will get lost along with their gas royalty fees.
I don't go to a camp anymore,but understand what you are saying.As a teenage hunter my father would drive us to a friends camp and he would not leave until mid Sunday morning which left little time to get settled,but it all worked out,deer were seen or harvested still and all had a good time.Even for those that don't have a camp to go to it does affect us also as being pressed for time if you need to do some extra scouting on public.As far as new hunter recruit or getting previous hunters on board I think it varies.In my case my young adult daughter is going to try deer hunting again since the opener is on Saturday.Work would have prevented her from going Monday.Other people may have hard time getting off work on weekends vs a weekday.Next year they may throw that Sunday day of hunting in on opening weekend.?
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 09:46 AM
The Man

Saturday will mark the first time in my entire life that I will not be in the woods at all on the opening day of rifle season. Rifle season is my favorite deer season. I've already discussed it with my dad and he is in agreement. Everyone asks where are all the camps for sale. Well, we are keeping ours through trout season to enjoy one more and then ours is for sale. There are other factors, but this Saturday opener is the straw that broke the camel's back for us. I've had enough.
Either way, best of luck to all the next couple weeks.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 10:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

I'm waiting to go to camp till next weekend. The logistics of heading to camp for Saturday doesn't work, considering family stuff ends at about 6:00 Friday night and camp is 3 hours away. I'll head out around home Saturday. Have fun all which ever way you head!
Potter Co. Joe and .257 like this.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 10:41 AM

I donít like the Saturday start, but Iíll be driving up to camp near Snow Shoe later this evening. Doesnít leave me a lot of time, but thereís really nothing I need to prep in the woods or camp, with the exception of hanging my climber.
bohunr and ruger300 like this.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 11:57 AM
New Arrival

we have a couple guys going up to camp near ridgway today.my grandson and I are going up early in the am and acouple after that.we will hunt hard for our 1 day and head home sunday. then go back up for the last weekend to hunt Friday and sat . a new tradition I guess
ruger300 likes this.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 03:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

I was out with my Dad food shopping for this weekend and he made a comment that with the Saturday opener he just isn’t into it like he usually is. Normally we treat the weekend like a vacation, a 3 day get away before the season starts on Monday. Having the opener on Saturday really kills any relaxation aspect of it for us and now it’s basically just work right from the get go.

I don’t know how the rest of you hunt but we hunt as a group, Monday we sit in the morning, drive the midday and hunt the evening. I’ve had days where I’ve walked 7 miles up and down ridges trying to drive deer to the standers. It’s fun but you’re beat by the end of the day and you have to head to bed early to get up at 3 am the next day and do it all over again. Then after hunting and driving Tuesday morning we spend the rest of the day butchering and packing up to leave.

The Saturday opener starts that process two days earlier which means we go to bed early Friday, hunt hard Saturday and butcher Sunday only to go to bed early and do it again on Monday. It leaves no downtime for even simply hanging out sharing drinks around a campfire because there is always work to be done. And with 11 guys coming up for the opener with a bunch of DMAP tags we are sure to have 6+ deer on the ground Saturday which means we will spend the majority of the day Sunday butchering and packaging the meat to make less work on Tuesday.

And last time this topic was brought up there were members here that scoffed at the fact that people would rather have that weekend for hanging out with friends and family up the mountains getting ready to go hunting instead of actually hunting. Honestly if it wasn’t for my family and friends hunting here I’d probably never hunt in PA again and instead spend my money heading out west on long range spot and stalk hunts which is far more what I’m into and is near nonexistent here.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that for some of us who we hunt with and the traditions surrounding it are far more important than the actual hunting itself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in