Ugh.... - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 01:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
They never said it would be the day after the opener, They said a day in rifle, day in archery, and 1 of their choosing.
It would be the obvious choice. Most school districts give kids off the first Monday, some Monday and Tuesday. PGC is trying to recruit younger hunters. This gives a kid still in school a 3 or 4 day opportunity to harvest a deer. Add into that it's also extended bear season for some WMU's and it's almost a no brainer that will be the day.
Danesdad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 01:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Ret View Post
I have a hard time understanding how the opener being on Saturday changes anything for those who wish to follow traditions. Is there a mandate that hunters have to be out? Can you not do things just as you've done previously and simply ignore the fact that that extra day is there?

A genuine query as I simply don't understand all the angst over this.
The opener is the important day, if you wait till the second day then you aren’t hunting the opener anymore and your chances to get a deer drop by a significant amount. Just look at the bear numbers, 1000+ taken on Saturday and only 300 taken on Monday. So if you don’t hunt the opener why even bother going up when you can wait until the following weekend and increase your odds with the ability to hunt does as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Willys View Post
9 hunters Friday at camp and not one complaint "yet" about Saturday being opening day. Just have to wait and see for a better opinion. People selling there camps because of this??? Sorry excuse to me
If your primary reason for owning a camp revolves around the opening day of rifle season and the Saturday change makes it so that many of the members can’t make it and choose not to hunt that weekend then why bother owning the camp anymore? As I’ve said before for many this weekend is about the camaraderie more-so than the hunting itself so if that is gone then people might feel owning a camp is not worth it anymore. I know I wouldn’t want to own our camp if it wasn’t for the time I get to spend with my dad and brother.

As for our camp none of the 10 in our normal group want it. The addition of DMAP tags to our area is making it suck less but nobody is really thrilled about the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Willys View Post
9 hunters Friday at camp and not one complaint "yet" about Saturday being opening day. Just have to wait and see for a better opinion. People selling there camps because of this??? Sorry excuse to me
If something miniscule like this causes someone to sell their hunting camp....well all I can say is that it really wasn't a true hunting camp.
It wasn’t your version of a true hunting camp but that doesn’t make it any less important. Some people only hunt the opening weekend and the loss of members due to the change may make some of them reevaluate if the effort to maintain a camp is worth it.
delhunter likes this.
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 06:06 AM
Sage

Leaving for camp in 3A shortly. Not a chance I'm missing opening day, no matter how much the change annoys me. Good luck to all.

59Willys, .257 and thumper23 like this.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 06:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
I see your point with members owning a camp solely for hunting ,. That's not the case with me. My place is used year round for family and friends, I would have never bought it 26 years ago strictly for hunting. Anyway, enjoy your hunt,be safe and shoot straight! Be back in 12 days to see your pic. and hear how you guys and gals made out.

Last edited by 59Willys; 12-08-2019 at 09:45 PM.
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 07:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekside View Post
It would be the obvious choice. Most school districts give kids off the first Monday, some Monday and Tuesday. PGC is trying to recruit younger hunters. This gives a kid still in school a 3 or 4 day opportunity to harvest a deer. Add into that it's also extended bear season for some WMU's and it's almost a no brainer that will be the day.
After this year the first Monday off will no doubt be a thing of the past in most school districts (provided the Saturday opener stands, which I am 101% sure it will) . Absenteeism will be high on that Monday, I'm sure. I do agree the one Sunday in rifle makes the most sense on the day after the opener.
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 08:21 AM
The Man

I am not looking forward to the the traveling this evening. Working right now and I won’t be done until 3:30 pm. Then I have a 40 minute ride home to pack the truck and another 140 miles of driving to get to camp. I think once I finally make it there tonight things will be fine once I am settled in. Sunday plan on scouting in the morning then headed to the bar to watch the Steeler game.
Potter Co. Joe, .257 and ruger300 like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 02:01 PM

kudu, you might want to wait another year before selling your camp. when we attended a CWD program the game commission said that this year is a trial run to see how it goes. they could change it back to Monday if things dont go well.
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa. Slim View Post
kudu, you might want to wait another year before selling your camp. when we attended a CWD program the game commission said that this year is a trial run to see how it goes. they could change it back to Monday if things dont go well.
I'll predict how that will go.... record harvest, sharp increase in license sales, record hunter participation and hunter satisfaction. Ok maybe I'm being sarcastic but saturday opener wont be changing. I would really like if they moved the whole season a week later though.
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
I'll predict how that will go.... record harvest, sharp increase in license sales, record hunter participation and hunter satisfaction. Ok maybe I'm being sarcastic but saturday opener wont be changing. I would really like if they moved the whole season a week later though.

My thoughts also. If you want a Saturday opener, move it back away from Thanksgiving.
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 03:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If you do that, you’re almost bumping into Christmas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in