No cell service at camp - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 161Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

No cell service at camp

Why doesn't the Pa PUC require the cell phone companies coverage to all the rural areas. It is a matter of health and safety, not just convenience. I realize that it would be costly. I know that there are spots on a mountain top but that is not good enough in a emergency. I saw somewhere that there was a plan to put small low cost repeaters on top of existing power poles to service rural areas. In case of an accident or heart attack could save lives. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 06:28 PM

I don't like Government wielding a heavy hand in business.
Towers aren't free to build, run, network, lease or buy the land they sit on.
There has to be an economic benefit for the companies to place them, or they don't.
While it would be great to have total coverage, you're still dealing with low-power rf signals. The number of towers necessary to cover 100% of those areas, not to mention added height, is a lot more than you think.
So how much would it drive up costs for EVERYONE, not to mention the eyesore of having hundreds, if not thousands of new, significantly taller, towers sprout up everywhere?
Also consider that the decision to live/work/play in remote areas bring responsibility for the consequences of said decision. Longer response times, less or lower quality access to some communications lines (like cell coverage and internet), fewer choices in retail stores, etc.
dce, coyotejohn, JoeG52 and 8 others like this.
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 06:40 PM
Part of the Community

I thought camp was to get away from computers and cell phones. People been hunting forever without them. somehow we managed to survive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 06:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bistro View Post
Why doesn't the Pa PUC require the cell phone companies coverage to all the rural areas. It is a matter of health and safety, not just convenience. I realize that it would be costly. I know that there are spots on a mountain top but that is not good enough in a emergency. I saw somewhere that there was a plan to put small low cost repeaters on top of existing power poles to service rural areas. In case of an accident or heart attack could save lives. What do you think?
Makes sense to me, luckily I get great service from camp and in the woods up in Potter Co. I am with Verizon.
Have other members in the club who have other other carriers and don't get service.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
I don't like Government wielding a heavy hand in business.
Towers aren't free to build, run, network, lease or buy the land they sit on.
There has to be an economic benefit for the companies to place them, or they don't.
While it would be great to have total coverage, you're still dealing with low-power rf signals. The number of towers necessary to cover 100% of those areas, not to mention added height, is a lot more than you think.
So how much would it drive up costs for EVERYONE, not to mention the eyesore of having hundreds, if not thousands of new, significantly taller, towers sprout up everywhere?
Also consider that the decision to live/work/play in remote areas bring responsibility for the consequences of said decision. Longer response times, less or lower quality access to some communications lines (like cell coverage and internet), fewer choices in retail stores, etc.
I agree, I don't want government forcing companies to have to spend money that will never be returned and I doubt the stock holders do either.
coyotejohn, JoeG52, .257 and 2 others like this.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 06:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It's probably best to just stay home.
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 06:54 PM
New Arrival

I have Verizon specifically because they have good coverage upstate. Our camp had poor coverage until a few years ago, a new tower made that better.

My brother near Estella has no cell service at home, but my brother near near Oley doesn't either.

If you go to Forest City a Verizon phone won't work at all. That's because Ed Tourje at NEP wouldn't lease Versizon space on his towers - he wants people to get his cell service.
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 06:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 41 MagFan
i did see a video about a guy installing a booster at his hunting place in Texas. He had no service and put the booster in and had 4G service at his place in Texas I think it was called we boost or something like that.
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:03 PM

We don't have great cell service at our house. To use my cell phone at our camp in IN State I had to walk about 1/2 mile up a hill through the woods and out into a soy bean field to get every poor reception.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41 MagFan View Post
i did see a video about a guy installing a booster at his hunting place in Texas. He had no service and put the booster in and had 4G service at his place in Texas I think it was called we boost or something like that.
My FIL has had some health issues so I put in a Weboost at camp so that we were accessible. It can't take "no service" and make good service. You need to have some signal in order for it to boost it up. That being said outside our cabin it was hard to make a phone call and texts would eventually go thru, but you couldn't text pics. After I put in the Weboost we can text pics from inside the cabin and make phone calls. They definitely work as advertised if you have some signal.
loridr likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page