15 acres.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

15 acres....

So I have potentially located some property for sale in the area I have been looking. It is 15.2 acres that lays with the Bennett Branch creek running through it. The road side is accessible by a 100ft ROW, and the side across the stream is not accessible by car. The backside boarders state forest. The property is very long and narrow with the widest portion being about 100 -150 feet in depth to the creek. They are asking 2000 an acre and the township will not call me back. I am nervous to jump on this opportunity without knowing more information due to the property being in the flood plain. What are my building restrictions, sewage, water, etc.

The price would limit me to being able to secure the property, and then having to wait some time before a camp was built. I would consider maybe electric and camper now for be able to have something there to be able to use it.

What’s your guys thoughts? I apologize for the limited info on location, but I don’t want to get too much info out there and have it bought out from underneath me..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:09 PM

keep on the twp. until you get an answer , then you can proceed from there. then you can take your time on deciding on your build or something temporary . good luck on your decision
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:22 PM

The township should have a map that shows the flood plain distances from the creek. I live in a flood plain and it used to be only 50 ft from the creek bank to build, with the new FEMA flood plain rules a few years ago the flood plain is probably 150 ft from the creek now. My neighbor wanted to build a house on his vacant lot, he was required to get an engineer who told him the house would have to be elevated 5 ft above the flood plain. After living along a creek in a flood plain for 30 years, I would never buy near a creek again. That beautiful tranquil stream can turn into a roaring monster in a couple hours. Hurricane Ivan I lost over $15,000 worth of property in my basement and have flooded several more times over the years. We just learned to not keep much of any value in the basement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Whose your neighbors? I bought 16 acres and a guy bought a 10 acre lot beside me and is going to build close to the property line taking out my best spot because of the safety zone.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you build you need to be a minimum of 50 feet from stream. If it,s in flood plane youíll have a rough time getting a loan. Any right a way on the property canít be built on either.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:46 PM

Building in a flood plane is a nightmare. Just look at that area last week 3 inches of rain in a short period can wipe away everything you put in.. Run like your butt is on fire..
kudu58, Stetam and outofstater like this.

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:11 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Location: Emigsville, York Co.; McCarroll Corner, Sullivan Co.
here's a link to FEMA's Flood Map Center

https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Location: Emigsville, York Co.; McCarroll Corner, Sullivan Co.
If you still have trouble with the Township, if they have have a website, look for the the Zoning Officer or the Codes Enforcement Officer or the Township Engineer. A lot of the smaller/less populated townships will have a firm that deals with the zoning and/or the codes enforcement.

If that doesn't work out, try the County Planning Office. They may be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 09:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

So did you buy it or move on?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You had better check what they want for insurance for the property. If it is in a flood plane you will be paying ba lot more than you want to put a house ot trailer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page