What to do? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

What to do?

So I have a question. So the family camp that I have gone to for the last 27 years(been going there since is was 12 am now 39) well there are some issues. So here is the deal. My grand father and great uncle owned the camp for many years. When my grandfather passed 8 years ago he offered his share to his children. My mom and dad wanted a share, her brother my uncle also wanted a share, another aunt and uncle also wanted a share. They did not pay for my grandfathers share. At the same time they each bought my great uncle out of his share. So like idiots they did not have any paperwork written up, no camp rules, no buy out clause, nothing. Idiots.The first year or so was fine, each party paid their $100 dollars per month that was the only verbal agreement they had and everything was fine.

Now just like my self my uncle(grandpas son) has been going there since he was 12, now 55. My dad has been hunting there well at least as long as me 27 years plus. Myself my uncle and my dad use the place all the time. So the other aunt and uncle never went to the place even before they owned it, they went there a few times but the uncle got discouraged because it took him 45 mins to get to his hunting spot.

So now the last 5 years or so the other aunt and uncle no longer contribute the $100 dollars per month, it is obviously a very sore subject in the entire family. My parents and uncle are each paying 50% of the bills but are only 1/3 owners.

I told my parents to have the place appraised and buy them out, which the aunt and uncle would be fine with. Here is my question even though there was no verbal agreement, IMO they should no be compensated for my grandfathers share since they never paid for it. Also even though they never used the place for years I feel every month they did not pay their $100 dollars per month, it should be deducted off of the buyout price.

Sorry to vent just my opinion, hopefully no one else has to go though this. Thanks for your input and if I am looking at this wrong please let me know.
bohunr and Birch812 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam View Post
So I have a question. So the family camp that I have gone to for the last 27 years(been going there since is was 12 am now 39) well there are some issues. So here is the deal. My grand father and great uncle owned the camp for many years. When my grandfather passed 8 years ago he offered his share to his children. My mom and dad wanted a share, her brother my uncle also wanted a share, another aunt and uncle also wanted a share. They did not pay for my grandfathers share. At the same time they each bought my great uncle out of his share. So like idiots they did not have any paperwork written up, no camp rules, no buy out clause, nothing. Idiots.The first year or so was fine, each party paid their $100 dollars per month that was the only verbal agreement they had and everything was fine.

Now just like my self my uncle(grandpas son) has been going there since he was 12, now 55. My dad has been hunting there well at least as long as me 27 years plus. Myself my uncle and my dad use the place all the time. So the other aunt and uncle never went to the place even before they owned it, they went there a few times but the uncle got discouraged because it took him 45 mins to get to his hunting spot.

So now the last 5 years or so the other aunt and uncle no longer contribute the $100 dollars per month, it is obviously a very sore subject in the entire family. My parents and uncle are each paying 50% of the bills but are only 1/3 owners.

I told my parents to have the place appraised and buy them out, which the aunt and uncle would be fine with. Here is my question even though there was no verbal agreement, IMO they should no be compensated for my grandfathers share since they never paid for it. Also even though they never used the place for years I feel every month they did not pay their $100 dollars per month, it should be deducted off of the buyout price.

Sorry to vent just my opinion, hopefully no one else has to go though this. Thanks for your input and if I am looking at this wrong please let me know.

I agree with you abut the grandfather's share. However if your goal is to gain some kind of control over the camp and get rid of the deadbeats who are not paying their shares annually you would be better served by getting the appraisal done and buying the place, then you can run the camp the way you your dad and uncle want it to be run. Some times it is better to bite the bullet and and not be a right fighter for compensation that the uncle and your day allowed to happen over the years. Just do what you need to do and buy the place. Perhaps suggest deducting what the other share holders did not pay from the selling price, but don't let it foul the sale.
bohunr, Birch812, rrroae and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Woods walker; 09-22-2019 at 03:36 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

So eventually the place will go to me. I am an only child and my uncle does not have children. Not looking to take control. Just curious on the best way to get the deadbeats out. I guess I already knew. I am just tired of my parents and uncle being screwed.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Here is the other thing that makes me mad. The deadbeats are under the impression they only need to pay when they use it. We know that camps take money to keep going. If i buy a magazine or newspaper subscription, I still pay the bill every month regardless if I read it.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:52 PM

BY-LAWS and RULES... STRICT STICKING TO THEM... No problems since 1961.... Best get the real estate in a live persons name too...

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Exactly, i agree
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:22 PM
Banned

Yep, had there been by-laws and rules you would not have the problem now. However there were none, just buy the place and and make rules, and stick to them and enjoy the camp.
Potter Co. Joe likes this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 06:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I agree with Woods walker and Wayne Valentino ,that is the best course of action .Good luck and keep us posted
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 06:54 PM
The Man

Take your lumps get rid of them and move on and don't look back.
Carrying Anger does no good. Just make sure you get Legal advice.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 06:56 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
$100 bucks, per month. Not worth losing any sleep or worrying about. Enjoy the camp and forget the deadbeats. If you do buy them out give them what the appraisal says one third is worth an don't complicate things by trying to deduct what you say they owe. Because they don't really owe anything. You said yourself there is no written agreement or by laws. Mores the pity. Just pay what it takes to get it done and chock it up to a good lesson and move on. In the long run you'll be glad you did. And Bam bam,,,,,,Good luck. Good hunting.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page