I forgot - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Sage

I forgot

Last time up at camp I forgot to put RV antifreeze in the toilet. When do you think the lastest date is before I'd have to worry? Camp is near ANF just south of Mareinville. I wasn't gonna go back up before winter, but it looks like I'll have to now.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: I forgot

some time in mid october..you could hunt a little up there.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We usually put the antifreeze in ours the weekend of pheasant and rabbit opener. Around the 3rd week of Oct.

Free Madcatter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Sage

OK, that's about when I could make it up there again.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 AM
Sage

I'll do mine (NW Tioga), when I leave after hunting in turkey or bow season, sometime in October.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Sage

It takes an awful lot to freeze pipes in the late fall. We keep one of those indoor/outdoor thermometers in the camp that records the lowest inside temp, and I doubt there would ever be a time in November that would be cold enough inside to freeze pipes.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
It takes an awful lot to freeze pipes in the late fall. We keep one of those indoor/outdoor thermometers in the camp that records the lowest inside temp, and I doubt there would ever be a time in November that would be cold enough inside to freeze pipes.
I agree. It takes an extended cold spell (or really cold) to get the inside cold enough to freeze the pipes.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

I start leaving the heat on at my place in mid-November. I also use a thermometer that stores low temps both in my crawl space and living space. It doesn't even get close to freezing until after Nov. 15th. My place is in Pike Co.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Sage

I winterize when I leave for home sometime in October, because I often won't be back again, until the Friday after Thanksgiving.

We've had some frozen pipes by Thanksgiving several times, up where my camp is. One year dad came along during turkey and after I'd winterized before leaving, he went back inside and closed the faucets for some reason? When we came back up for deer season, had to thaw several pipes that never drained completely with the faucets closed.

And the year my mom passed away (in mid Oct.), I never got back up again until early November, so the place didn't get winterized in October. Frozen pipes under sinks needed thawed and some ice in the toilet bowl, when I got to camp.

Not unusual to have temps dip into the teens/low twenties overnight there, in late October and early November.

If that happens a few nights in a row, then there are frozen pipes to deal with. Not usually enough to break anything, but enough to have to deal with, when coming back to camp.

As far as over winter problems, if no one monkeys with the faucets or outside drains after they're where they're 'sposed to be, I can winterize and come back to find no problems in the spring.

Dad closed the faucets one other time, right before we left after deer and twice my cousin has come over and closed the outside drains for some reason, after I'd left.

Both times I had broken pipes to repair in the spring, because the pipes never finished draining. The year after dad closed the faucets that last time, made him go sit in the truck before we left and told my cousin I'd have to take the drain handles off, if he couldn't let 'em alone?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 01:07 PM
The Man

D,

Our camp is just above Tionesta and depending on the forecast and what is like when we leave, we usually starting draining everything and dumping the RV antifreeze in mid to end of October and have never had a problem.

2F for a while...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page