5Likes
  • 2 Post By Woods walker
  • 2 Post By dce
  • 1 Post By innatree

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

How much insurance

Wondering how much insurance to carry on our tiny cabin, only 384 sq ft. Between the structure (15K) and contents (8K) we have 25K or less and we are paying for 80K to our carrier. So I'm wondering how much others are carrying. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:58 PM

seems correct, how much liability if someone gets hurt on your property ?? Anymore that seems like the number you have to worry about the most..

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, your policy should cover needed funds to clear the site after the loss (for example, a fire), funds to prepare the site for the new build, funds for the actual new construction, and then funds to replace contents. $80K is going to go fast, especially if anything at your current location is grandfathered in and the new structure needs to meet current code requirements.

"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Valentino View Post
seems correct, how much liability if someone gets hurt on your property ?? Anymore that seems like the number you have to worry about the most..
A general liability rider on your policy is prudent, this is a good comment Wayne.

"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdoo View Post
Wondering how much insurance to carry on our tiny cabin, only 384 sq ft. Between the structure (15K) and contents (8K) we have 25K or less and we are paying for 80K to our carrier. So I'm wondering how much others are carrying. Thanks
Remember, replacement costs will increase annually, so you are better off being a bit over insured that under insured.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:53 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdoo View Post
You can either have replacement cost or actual cash value.Currently the average cost of new construction is $140/sq ft depending on many different factors.That would be about 54k if you had a basement.I would say your way over insured for a cabin that's less than 400 sq ft.Removal and cleanup of debris is 5% of the total cost of the claim.
bobdoo and Laylow like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:23 PM
New Arrival

I'd agree your over insured for such a small place. Just because it's insured for 84k doesn't mean they'll cut you a check for that in the event of a total lose. Most agents have a replacement cost estimator that can get you in the neighborhood of an appropriate value. I'd talk to the agent or the carrier if you deal direct.
bobdoo likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I agree with Woods Walker, dce , and innatree, also talk to your agent like innatree said

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page