Question about cellar/crawl space door and moisture. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Question about cellar/crawl space door and moisture.

When we added the bilco door to the basement/crawl space to the camp, I had to make a door to fit. I used double thickness 1x6 pine and made a double Z door design. I stained the door, but apparently it wasn't enough to stop it from swelling in time of high moisture in the basement (early spring and recently because of the rain and increased moisture in the basement). My question is, would I be improving the situation by removing the door, bring it to a dry environment, trim it, then paint it with an oil based paint? I really didn't want to get into a custom metal door cost. Looking for any suggestions.

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Probably not. You would be better off installing a couple of small craw space louvre. They make them with cranks you can close or open and screens. Get a cross ventilation going.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:11 PM

crawl space vents / louvers as mentioned. We put down plastic actually visqueen and put baking soda in our crawl space as a moisture barrier. works good.
Juniata4ever likes this.

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

No power at the camp?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Already have 8 crawl space louvers. My internal moisture is coming up from the floor under the footer- there is a plastic and stone layer, but apparently not enough. We are looking at concreting the floor, but not this year. Kind of leary of running a dehumidifier full time, since I've heard a lot of fires can result from them. It would be possible to do it, and run a continual drain out the septic. It may come to that, but for now, just want to relieve the immediate problem.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:20 PM

I wouldnít worry too much about running your dehumidifier when you are not there. Just make sure there were no recalls Mine has been running for over two years now at my camp.

Life Member NRA
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:40 PM

Don't know. Typical of doors even in an airconditioned building to swell some during the high humidity. How bad is it sticking? If it isn't much then I may not worry about it as once the humidity drops then it should go back to normal. If sticking bad then perhaps just shave a little off where it is sticking and restain. I don't know if the oil based paint is going to prevent it from swelling?

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:29 PM

Had a similar problem, wound up cutting about 1/2" off 3 sides of door. but also put on a thicker stop molding on the jam to keep it sealed for air, bugs and snakes... put thompson water seal on exposed wood before painting.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:53 PM
Part of the Community

Sounds like you have multiple issues with moisture. Without seeing it 1st hand itís hard to pinpoint a cause or remedy. Do you have standing water?
Iíll give you suggestions from someone who deals with moisture in weatherizing homes for a living.
1st thing Iíd do if it was mine is seal off all the vents but 1 and in the remaining vent install a small window fan blowing out(cheaper and safer than running the dehumidifier when youíre not around ). The vents at the moment are letting hot humid air into a cool space and creating a condensation issue,
2nd-The plastic/visqueen needs to be 1 piece running up the sides of the wall about 15Ē (like a pool liner) and sealed along the top.
3rd-Cut the door down as mentioned if possible.
4th- Make sure any rain water is channeled or directed away from your foundation if possible.

These are just suggestions because what works in one basement/crawl space may not work in another. Hopefully you can manage it

Reward Equals Effort. Nothing is Free
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:06 PM

fan

I installed one of these fans in my basement vents. Seems to be working well.
I have it on a timer to only run between 9 AM thru 5PM during daylight hours.
It has an adjustable dehumidistat and a freeze protection limit. only draws 40 watts.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page