Sproul Camps - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sproul Camps

A question for guys that have camps in Sproul or hunt there a lot. Are you amazed at the amount of seismic testing going on? I went for a walk on Saturday, and couldn't get over the amount of blast holes drilled and the number of pink ribbons hanging everywhere. They had one hole drilled within 50 yards of our camp, and another hole drilled really close to stream that I hunt next to.

I wish there was a way to know where all the wells are going. The amount of truck traffic and activity associated with one well is mind-boggling. I've been told this is just the tip of the iceberg. I'll be really curious (or sad) to see what Sproul looks like in 5 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:39 PM
RB
Sage

Re: Sproul Camps

You are not alone in your concerns..I live in the ANF, and it really is nothing more than woodlots between oil leases and land of lawsuits now, walk in only gates everywhere that you walk in only to be passed by a oil rig and these aren't MS wells..

We have a camp north of you in Susquehannock SF but I don;t get there as much any more to know the goings on.

It is kind of funny to me cause I remember as a kid some folks that were at camp with us for a summer weekend dug up some ferns or maybe a mountain laurel bush to take home or something and Dad freaked and made them go back and plant it exactly where they got it from cause it belonged to the state and it was not ours to take...and also them (DCNR) telling us once or twice to spruce up our camp or else which we always did...and now.....are the drill rigs required to be painted natural colors like camps are?

The needs for jobs and money is a hard thing to ignore or be against nowadays, but for those that thought they had the place tucked away from everything up there....well guess what, everything found it.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Right now it's a sad state of affairs. I keep hoping that in a few years all the wells will be drilled, and the truck traffic gone. One nice thing about the seismic testing is that it does leave a nice trail through the laurel to do a little sneek and peak hunting.
The other side of the coin, I learned a couple of weeks ago, is that a lot of the area has not even been leased yet.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good post Chad1......discouraging as heck, but it needs to be discussed a whole lot more than it has been. I'm really disappointed that the PA sporting community ( myself included) hasn't yelled foul and rose up and insisted on some legislative action to preserve the state's natural beauty. What's going on is ridiculous.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a place outside of Renovo and knock on wood, haven't seem anything associated to the well drilling.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 02:27 PM

We lease 600 acres and the landowner agreed to allow semic testing(Which I can't fault him for doing). A crew I talked to last spring assured us they'd be through testing by Mid-Sept so as to have the least amount of interfernce as possible to hunting season...yeah, right ! All summer long they've been cutting trails & test sights everywhere, 2 weeks ago the traffic increased and another camp member here at HPA said there's equipment & lines scattered across much of the property. Just in time to drastically impact archery season. I realize we're paying guests so we'll roll with the punches but since our lease agreement is about hunting season, I'll be having a discussion with the landowner about an adjustment to next year's fees. Just one of those bumps in the road that you have to deal with.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:13 PM

R and S, look at a recent aerial photo of your area on Google Earth and you'll be amazed at what is all around your area regarding gas wells.

This is who we are. This is what we do.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 PM
J-T
Part of the Community

Wish I could say what I feel (without getting edited) about this gas well stuff going on on SF land. You can't cut a 1" branch for a shooting lane but these guys can bulldoze acres and acres of land, they can put in pipelines, mow down all these paths through the middle of the forest or do whatever they please it seems. We are on our second round of seismic testing all around our camp. There are cords running everywhere, not to mention those big yellow bags they drop the gear from helicopters. We cleaned up 3 or 4 of those that were left behind after the last round of testing. Yeah, and they do these things from September through December, right in the middle of prime time.

I hope to god they don't put a well within 1/2 mile from camp, but I aint holdin my breath. The legistlatehors will not do anything about it, as it would detract from their campaign contributions. Sad state of affairs indeed.

Vote out every incumbant every chance you get, rep or dem, they all need to go. After 3 or 4 full turnovers, we may get a few to listen to the people. Not holding my breath on that one either

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page