Water Storage - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Water Storage

Ok. Next project for me. We carry water to camp to use for showers, dishes, etc. I have 6 of those blue aquatainers that hold like 7 or 8 gallon a piece. Most weekends I am dumping out a couple of them as we didn't use them all. Got me thinking that I may want to use a couple of 55 gallon drums that I could place under the cabin and then plumb to my rv pump. I would use the aquatainers to fill the drums. Didn't know how long I could keep water in drums like that. We don't drink this water, but just didn't know how long we could keep and what are some ideas to keep it fresh. Could also get one of those white water tanks if they would be better? I would drain this system in the winter and just do what we do now by setting the water next to the rv pump inside and dropping a hose into the bucket. Our water usage in winter is reduced anyway.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
Ok. Next project for me. We carry water to camp to use for showers, dishes, etc. I have 6 of those blue aquatainers that hold like 7 or 8 gallon a piece. Most weekends I am dumping out a couple of them as we didn't use them all. Got me thinking that I may want to use a couple of 55 gallon drums that I could place under the cabin and then plumb to my rv pump. I would use the aquatainers to fill the drums. Didn't know how long I could keep water in drums like that. We don't drink this water, but just didn't know how long we could keep and what are some ideas to keep it fresh. Could also get one of those white water tanks if they would be better? I would drain this system in the winter and just do what we do now by setting the water next to the rv pump inside and dropping a hose into the bucket. Our water usage in winter is reduced anyway.
Isn't there a stream someone where at a higher elevation than your cabin that you could run an above plastic line into the camp? Of a steam nearby where you could use a small pump to pump water into a gravity drop tank in the attic or on the roof.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Isn't there a stream someone where at a higher elevation than your cabin that you could run an above plastic line into the camp? Of a steam nearby where you could use a small pump to pump water into a gravity drop tank in the attic or on the roof.

Unfortunately no. I have a spring that is a few hundred feet from the cabin (downhill). I have done some hand digging there, but can't find the main source. The water doesn't really run there, but it is just a wet area. Even with that I would still need to run a pump with the generator to pump the water to a holding tank and then use the RV pump. We are off-grid on a small solar setup. I figure if I get a holding tank setup then I can use it when and if I get a spring developed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:26 PM

years ago when we had a camp we used a 55gallon drum that was kept inside. Likewise, we only used this water for washing dishes, bathing, etc... It's been a long time ago, but I think we put a small amount of pool chlorine in it to keep it from getting funky.
cspot likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Part of the Community

I use a 250 gallon tote/ container and is perfect.. The spring is 1/2 mile from me so I use 55 gallon drum to transfer from the spring to the tote. not to bad to do. But I try to fill the tote all at once. Do three or four runs and I'm good till end of season unless we have people over. Solar also, so the rv pump works great when the tank is elevated a bit. I do also run the rain gutter into a 5 gallon bucket that then runs into a 55 barrel for washing "stuff"as a back up so the good water isn't wasted.

I try to have 55 gallons barrels filled with rain water around just to have on hand, off grid means the fireman are along ways away.
Danesdad and cspot like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlytrap View Post
I use a 250 gallon tote/ container and is perfect.. The spring is 1/2 mile from me so I use 55 gallon drum to transfer from the spring to the tote. not to bad to do. But I try to fill the tote all at once. Do three or four runs and I'm good till end of season unless we have people over. Solar also, so the rv pump works great when the tank is elevated a bit. I do also run the rain gutter into a 5 gallon bucket that then runs into a 55 barrel for washing "stuff"as a back up so the good water isn't wasted.

I try to have 55 gallons barrels filled with rain water around just to have on hand, off grid means the fireman are along ways away.
Do you put in chlorine or clorox to keep it from getting funky?

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:04 PM
Part of the Community

1 tablet pool chlorine 1 inch round for the 250 tank and the tank is tarped over. I shock the tank in the begging of the year if there is any water left over from last year and that kills what ever is in the lines also. I also put bleach in the 55 gallon barrels every use. I'd rather play it safe.
cspot likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:04 PM
Sage

In your remote situation I would consider going with a shallow well. Lots of info out there on the net.
cspot and 171farm like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:13 PM
Part of the Community

FYI on the tablets

The chlorine pool smell wears off quickly, and is only done the first time filling the 250 gallon tank. After that, i add 1/4 tablet to the tank when i add 55 or more gallons to the tank. I don't intend to drink it but could.
cspot likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

We carry our water the same way you do. I have city water so it already has all kind of good chemicals in it (roll eyes). I rotate my jugs and have left water in them for several months before using them and never noticed anything funky going on. We only use them to wash body/dishes. But I think if you do treat with chemicals like others have said you should be fine for months in my opinion.
cspot likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page