Quad and new brushhog - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wald Jager

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quad and new brushhog

After buying an old billygoat brushog from Home Depot rental and using it for the last 4 years im getting tired. To do all the trails and 2 food plots once or twice a year takes me about 3 days each time. Leaves me not much time to do other camp projects when I go. It works great ,no mechanical issues but it's a 24" wide cut and mows down 4'-6' grass and weeds no problem. Except you kind of have to hi step your way behind it or you're tripping on the spoils. Leg burner and I aint no spring chicken anymore. The narrow width means multiple passes on trails to keep them open wide enough. Cutting one pass allows the goldenrod to lean into the path and you get soaked in the morning walking to your stand.
We have a 1999 Polaris 400 xplorer at camp and finally figured out how to keep the mice out of the innards(plug up the intake, breather tubes and exhaust). Bought a 44' wide Swisher tow behind brushog. I figure I should be able to do it all in a day.
Other than keeping the quad in low gear and 5mph is there anything else I should be aware of? All of our trails and plots have been cleared of brush and I don't plan on mowing any saplings with this. I can think of a few places where turning around would be difficult so I would use the walk behind there.Plan on basically going in circles around the property.
Now just have to get my buddy to get his HVAC scrap off the trailer so we can tow the mower up to camp soon.
OAWC likes this.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:03 PM
Sage

good luck with it ! way to wet yet hereto get much done on the paths...still standing water on many of the paths.... I just have to wait it out.

wmu 3A
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yea, we are up in your neck of Bradford co. and 2 weeks ago when we were up for turkey there were sections of our trails that were boot suckers. Rained most of the weekend too. Was going to walk the brushog around but decided not to. Hopefully by july it'll be drier.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Wa;ter, is your quad water cooled or air cooled?

I had a air cooled and wanted it to do my lawn.

Great idea, but is ran very HOT.

Sold the swisher and got a big used zero turn.

Good luck with whatever your choice is.

Dean Conklin
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:52 PM

I haven't owned one, but the biggest issue I know of from people is they can be rough on belts. LIkely from going to fast with tall thick grass. Did you get the rough cut or the finish mower?

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:54 PM

I sold my walk behind rough cut mower as well. They work but they are rough on the operator. I would have done the same as you, but I have places that I need to raise the mower up and with my woods turning around can be very difficult. That is why I went with a small Kubota and 3pt brush hog.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page