Dehumidifier at camp questions? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Dehumidifier at camp questions?

Got a good deal on a dehumidifier with a pump in it over the winter. Planning on running it a cabin when I’m not there over the summer. I have a cinder block cabin with a new addition stick built on a cement slab. Had a lot of problems with mildew and mold last year because of all the rain. I’m going to run the drain hose into the kitchen sink. Anyone else do this? What do you keep it set at? I kept mine at home in the basement set at 50% and medium. I was just wondering if 60% medium would be ok so it wouldn’t run quit as much but still keep the mildew and mold away. I always kept 2 windows half open to help get air through. I know you supposed to keep windows closed when running a dehumidifier but I might still let them open a bit.

Last edited by yhducker; 05-21-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had a major problem with mildew at my camp. Bought a dehumidifier and during the warm weather months ran it on its highest setting, and it worked by my electric bill skyrocketed. During the cool: cold weather months it’s on its Lowest setting and does a nice job. I’ll take 3 months of high bills over mold any day!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhducker View Post
Got a good deal on a dehumidifier with a pump in it over the winter. Planning on running it a cabin when Iím not there over the summer. I have a cinder block cabin with a new addition stick built on a cement slab. Had a lot of problems with mildew and mold last year because of all the rain. Iím going to run the drain hose into the kitchen sink. Anyone else do this? What do you keep it set at? I kept mine at home in the basement set at 50% and medium. I was just wondering if 60% medium would be ok so it wouldnít run quit as much but still keep the mildew and mold away. I always kept 2 windows half open to help get air through. I know you supposed to keep windows closed when running a dehumidifier but I might still let them open a bit.
I have mine set at 50%, I would not set it lower. How high will the pump lift and dump the water into the sink?

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:10 PM

I just set mine on the countertop so it could drain into the sink when I left for the weekend.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:15 PM
New Arrival

I leave mine on 55% and then set it on continuous and run the hose in the sink. It does run the electric bill up a bit but it's worth it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

We use the Damp Rid buckets at our camp, the big ones. They work, do not run up electric bill, and cost a lot less.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 PM
Part of the Community

i have 3 damp rid bags hanging in our cabin they work good and i have an air purifier that i run with a good filter in it to take anything out of the air works good
Loggy and cstrouse like this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwishes1 View Post
i have 3 damp rid bags hanging in our cabin they work good and i have an air purifier that i run with a good filter in it to take anything out of the air works good
My cabin's not that big & not cinder block but gets some dampness due to surrounding tree shade. I started using Damp Rid bags last year and they work great!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

The pump has a 16 foot lift.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:52 AM

I run a dehumidifier during the spring and summer months. Mine is set somewhere between 60-70% IIRC. My camp is elevated a few feet so I run the hose out through a hole I drilled in the floor. It really helps. When we used to get up there frequently, I never had a problem with mold because the place was opened up almost every weekend and no dehumidifier was needed. When my wife's grandmother came to live with us thge last 4 years of her life, we were lucky to get up there once a month. We weren't able to get up there one summer for over 2 months and when we did show up, there was a lovely fuzz over everything. Now I'm semi retired and have summers off, I plan on spending more time up there and I won't have to run the dehumidifier so much. I think I'll try those damp rid bags, though.
cstrouse likes this.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page