Floor insulation for camp on piers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By justgrad25
  • 1 Post By Pa-Plinker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Floor insulation for camp on piers

My camp is built on piers and over the years we strung a heavy tarp around the base to block the wind. The members have agreed to explore insulating under the floor and we believe that closed cell foam is probably our best option as opposed to cutting foam board to fit in between the floor joists. We have explored sourcing the foam online for self application. Does anyone have experience with this and if so have a recommended supplier? So far we have not found a way around significant shipping costs. Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a contractor that applies closed cell foam in the Clinton Co area that may be helpful as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Spray it Green Spray Foam Insulation

These guys just sprayed one of my jobs and they were very professional and efficient. In the floor they suggested going just 2" thick. You are something like 95% efficient and heat retention and air penetration at 2".

I would not suggest a DIY kit. I've hear horror stories of them failing because temp, humidity, air movement has to be precise.
The product we used was applied at high heat and high pressure from a $50,000 unit that required 100amp breaker to operate. It was a serious machine, not foam in a box.
Also, the price for them to apply it, was not much more than it would cost us just to get the product ourselves.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would add in costs (mat'l, labor) to close it off after you spray it with something that will deter the critters for chewing at it....
blackpowder likes this.

Suburban redneck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:22 PM

I'm very curious about this as well for some of our larger blinds.... especially rodent/insect protection for the insulation itself.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
I'm very curious about this as well for some of our larger blinds.... especially rodent/insect protection for the insulation itself.
Insect screening as used in standard window screens supported with 1/4" hardware cloth.
Wingatchtochwilsit likes this.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Lowes sells a kit. Just like above not sure how easy/good it would work.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:53 AM
Banned

I had a damp basement, the walls are cement block. Several years ago I had the walls studded out like I was going to put up sheet rock and a guy recommended by a friend spray foam on the walls between and flush with the edge of the 2x4s. What a difference, the basement is no longer damp and it is warmer and there is no heat down there. The guy showed up with a truck, everything is self contained in the truck and is I remember right it is a two part foam that is mixed as it comes through the hose from the truck. The foam is closed cell and gets very hard. If I wanted to I could put sheet rock on the wall to finish the basement. I don't remember what it cost but it wasn't outrageous and I am very glad I did it. I don't know if he would come from Lancaster Co. to Clinton or what he would charge, but I can get his phone number and name if you would be interested.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:11 AM
Sage

Insulated the floor of the part of our camp that is on piers, with 2" styrofoam, back around 1981.

Cut pieces from 4x8 sheets, inserted them between the floor joists, tacked a few 16d nails into the joists about four feet apart, to keep the panels up against the subfloor. Still there, zero issues with any disturbance of the foam since.

If the joists are far enough above the ground to allow someone to crawl under there and put foam panels in, can't think of a quicker, less expensive way to insulate the floor of a cabin on piers? Even easier if you install the foam while building it, before putting the subfloor in place over the floor joists.

We didn't happen to think of it while building the original shanty. First deer season it was so cold with an un-insulated floor, our foam pads/sleeping bags froze to the plywood floor. The foam went in the following summer.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

The cabin has been built for ~ 20 years. it varies from about 3.5 ft to on corner that is about 18in above the ground. In the past a heavy skirt tarp was helpful in keeping the floor tolerable, but we are interested in a more permanent solution. We considered sheets of 2in foam, but that is not cheap and much more labor intensive especially given the crawlspace. It will be interesting if any rodents chew at it. I have calls in to a couple places for a quote, but am still interested in hearing individual experiences for self application.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:30 AM
Sage

Don't know if Lowe's still stocks 4x8 sheets of 2" white styrofoam sheets, but they once did and it was far cheaper than sheets of polystyrene foam board.

The white stuff is what we put under the floor back in 1981. I got a sheet of the 2" blue/green polystyrene foam board a few years ago, think it ran around $34 a sheet? It's much easier to work with, than that white stuff.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page