Sad day for camps... - Page 5 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 198Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
Schools will not be off now so kids will be required to complete assignments and go to practice on Monday so they will not be able to stay.
I am not sure this will be the case across the board.

Granted Easter is a Sunday holiday and Thanksgiving is a Thursday holiday, but the schools around here have off Easter Monday. My son's district has off the Monday and Tuesday after Thanksgiving. I do not see them removing both days from the holiday break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
Well I am sad to report that Saturday is now the first day of rifle. This would be great if you could hunt on Sunday but you cannot and I doubt you ever will in Pa. I believe guys will come up late Friday and hunt Sat and then head home Sunday morning... no more hanging out and just celebrating camaraderie. After time they we say it's not worth heading up to camp and just abandon camp. Very sad...
Not sad at all for our Camp, most our guys go up for the whole week and for those who leave on
Wednesday now get an extra day to Hunt
How many people go up to only Hunt Monday and come home?

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #43 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If any one is selling a camp Forest or Elk County let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I think it will give the local businesses up north a hard hit. I know we always travel up Saturday after taking Friday to recover from Thanksgiving. On our way up we stop for lunch. Then hit the local grocery store for food. After that the beer distributor and liquor store. Since we have to come up Friday night ( to play the odds on getting a buck since the largest percentage of buck are taken on opening day after all - known fact), we will just do all our shopping throughout the week down home. We would always get some big projects done around camp on Saturday and Sunday then head out to the local bar. I know a few guys that have already said they are hunting Saturday and then heading home. After HR my camp started to become more of a turkey and trout camp. This will put the nail in the coffin.

Do your Sportin' in Wharton
post #45 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
If any one is selling a camp Forest or Elk County let me know.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2139658842919337/

check this facebook site. And get on the Tionesta facebook site as some listed there if you do facebook.
post #46 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigstyconrad View Post
I think it will give the local businesses up north a hard hit. I know we always travel up Saturday after taking Friday to recover from Thanksgiving. On our way up we stop for lunch. Then hit the local grocery store for food. After that the beer distributor and liquor store. Since we have to come up Friday night ( to play the odds on getting a buck since the largest percentage of buck are taken on opening day after all - known fact), we will just do all our shopping throughout the week down home. We would always get some big projects done around camp on Saturday and Sunday then head out to the local bar. I know a few guys that have already said they are hunting Saturday and then heading home. After HR my camp started to become more of a turkey and trout camp. This will put the nail in the coffin.
Hear everything your saying just can't believe this one day is going to cause so much turmoil.
Bring food up for Saturday hit Coudersport and Beer store on Sunday and your good to go.
If AR turned your Camp around then why the panic now?
Just on the other side of the Mountain from ya and were not panicking, sure some repairs or work won't get done but gives ya
reason to get back up again. If I'm not mistaken aren't you retired?

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #47 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:31 PM
New Arrival

My guys have already responded in a positive way. we will head up early Friday morning buy all the food and liquid refreshments needed at the local grocery store then unload at camp and begin to enjoy ourselves. Plans have already been made to go up camp the weekend before and check stands and make sure all is well at camp before hand. Five of six guys have already committed to staying and hunting until Tuesday or Wednesday and then back up the following Friday.
So far the plans have for a early Friday arrival is the only difference that I have noticed.
post #48 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:37 PM
New Arrival

I am sorry for all the camps that either believe or will suffer by the change of opening day. I attended a deer camp for a number of years back in the 80s and never had the opportunity to attend another deer camp once the aging owner passed. That said I do attend a weeklong grouse camp in Maine each year and a Canadian fishing week with a great bunch of guys. For those in the north central part of the state if you lose deer hunters consider allowing in some grouse hunters to keep the camps going. I don't see many openings around for those.
Mussgrass likes this.
post #49 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:38 AM

Not sure I understand the turmoil, unless it's difficulty in adapting to change. I used to go to a camp to turkey hunt, we'd get there Friday & hunt Saturday, fish or lounge around (or coyote hunt) Sunday, and then back out Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday.

Also owned a camp in NY state for a number of years, Saturday was the opener there also and it worked out well; granted, Sunday hunting was allowed, we usually stayed until Monday afternoon before heading back home. When they finally allow Sunday hunting for deer in PA, there will probably be less unhappy hunters.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #50 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:36 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimersford View Post
here is my problem.allready have vacation Monday and Tuesday. but work Friday till 7 pm takes half hour to get home eat take shower that's 8;30 pack up little stuff and go. get to camp 11;30. sleep in cold bed wake up go hunting some tradition
The vacation thing this year will be an issue for those that need to submit vacation early in the year....but next year you will know that you will need to take Friday for travel if you so desire.
Which nullifies the " well now people wont have to take vacation days to hunt" point everyone wants to make.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page