Camp foundation repair - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Camp foundation repair

My family camp in Pittsfield was built on cement block/piers and is settling/sinking in one corner. We are now having issues with door frames, the deck etc. To this point we have been adjusting things to make up for the changes, but it just keeps getting worse each year. I am sure water run off and drainage probably are causing it.

I have an idea of what could be done to fix it, but have discussed it with my father and am thinking this is something we would hire out due to a lack of help and the equipment needed. The problem is being a hunting camp built in 1970, its not exactly feasible to spend a ton of money on it. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any contractors in the Pittsfield/Warren area who would be capable of doing something like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:11 PM
Sage

Jack it up and put in new footers, a few bags of secrete should do it, possible as week end work detail
deerchaser, Dogface and Danesdad like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonM View Post
Jack it up and put in new footers, a few bags of secrete should do it, possible as week end work detail
Ron's idea is worth a try. Minimal expense & labor involved ... and may fix your problem.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

Have you tried jacking the corner back up? Put a 4 x 4 across the joists in the corner that is sinking and use a bottle jack to get it back to level. Block it back up and then look into getting some French drains put in around the building.
Dogface likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

That is exactly what I was thinking I would do- jack the corner up, get some blocking in and address the drainage issue.

The camp was built on a slope, with the front of the building near the higher end of the slope. The corner in question is on the front. The road is above grade from the building and I think water runoff from the road along with the roof are causing these issues. My grandfather put french drains in to divert water from the road around the both sides of the building, but that was 50 years ago and they probably are plugged up by now. Once the corner is back up to level, I would definitely put in new drains and probably gutters too.

The problem is my old man is getting well old and not very enthused about doing the work. We have a deck that wraps around the building above this area which makes it difficult to work. We would need to remove some of the deck. I am not sure how deep the previous footers were dug, but I am thinking this is something that would be much easier with machinery since there isnt much space to shovel with.

If I cant find someone who is capable and willing to do the work for a somewhat reasonable price, I will find a way to get it done.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:40 PM

Hard to say without seeing it. How far off the ground is it , does the roof have gutters, how big is the cabin. I am sure what everyone else has said is the way to go. It really isn't that big of a job. Jack it up back to level than add a footer. Again not sure what kind of ground you are sitting on but if you can get it to solid put a footer in. A 6X6 should do it or if you have a bit of help a piece of sonatube then fill with cement.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:08 PM
Banned

Are your piers sinking or are the beams that rest on them rotting?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

We had the same thing done to our camp last year, it was done by Peachey Consturctuon out of Belleville pa, they did a fabulous job
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSlayer1B View Post
Once the corner is back up to level, I would definitely put in new drains and probably gutters too....
Remove the word that is underlined above. If you're going to do part of the job do the rest. There is a serious amount of water that comes off of a roofing during a rain. Getting the water away from the piers is critical
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:54 PM
Part of the Community

We had a similar problem. Used sonoatubes filled with concrete to make new piers. Came out perfect. We do have gutters and french drains.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE - SOMEONE PAID!!! ALL GAVE SOME - SOME GAVE ALL!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page