Mayburg Bridge Closing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Mayburg Bridge Closing

From what I have been reading the bridge is owned by the Forest Service and they are planning to close it at the end of May. I read it would cost $500,000 for repairs. Anybody on the forums have a camp back in there. Such a cool little village to drive through and the history involved with the area. When I am at the camp, we usually ride up to the bridge in the evenings and watch the fish and chat with a lot of the folks going to the camps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:16 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
My camp is up off of Austin Hill but sometimes I take the shortcut from Marienville past Beaver Meadows and turn left at Deadmans Corners onto Forest Rd. 180 that takes you into Mayburg the back way. Left on Kingsely Rd. through the village then cross the bridge and take Bobbs creek Rd.(Forest Rd. 116) over the Hill to Hearts Content. Ill' miss being able to do that. Its a nice ride after a burger and beer at the Kelly on a summer evening. The folks that have camps in there at Mayburg aren't going to be happy. First the ice last year and now this. They cant catch a break.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:32 PM

Crossed that bridge many times used to hunt up there in Mudlick Hollow. Made it up there on some slick mornings and knew I wasnt going back to camp that way. Heck Ive seen pick ups rolled over up on that hill.

9-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL F.D.N.Y.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 06:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twowithone View Post
Crossed that bridge many times used to hunt up there in Mudlick Hollow. Made it up there on some slick mornings and knew I wasnt going back to camp that way. Heck Ive seen pick ups rolled over up on that hill.
Mudlick was one of my old stompin grounds too. I haven't been back in there in about 10 years. I would come in off the other side than you did though. I'd come in off FR 361.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:02 PM

Killed my first Buck there a nice 8 pointer. Where Salmon creek Rd, and the Branch Rd. met there used to be a jeep trail going up that hill we walked that hill 2 times and that was enough of that. Our scout master rolled his Ford Bronco up there it was 2 weeks old OUCH. The Branch Rd. is called I think Jones Farm Rd. now.? Good times up there for sure.

Last edited by Twowithone; 02-09-2019 at 08:35 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:25 PM

Any body heard any update on this? I'd think folks with camps back in there would be a little concerned. I would be.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

I'm not on facebook, but there is a group from there that has a page called Mayburg Bridge and they have a gofundme or something like that for donations. I believe they had around $5000 collected and they are going to get an attorney to research the situation and legality with bridge. They have also contacted the state representatives for the area. I know emergency services such as fire and ambulance will not cross the bridge. Lots of rumors, but the last I heard the Forest Service is closing the bridge the end of May.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:02 AM

My buddy told me theres locals living there what if they need 911.Dont know why the Army Corp engineers cant build a bridge like the one in Kelletville thats a nice bridge once they repaired it. What will they do if Nebraska bridge takes a good hit. That hill coming down into Mayburg can be a nightmare in bad weather for sure.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:57 PM
New Arrival

the bridge is gonna stay open for now, there was a meeting last week with the forestry dept, they are gonna try and come with a solution. I guess it will cost like 3 mill to replace bridge and the forestry dept don't want to pay for it. and yes there are residents I believe 7 of them that will be cut off from everything if bridge closes the hill is very bad especially if it snows then thaws then freezes nothing but ice there is already a weight restriction on bridge one car at a time, so if a fire or ambulance or electric truck is needed they cant cross bridge because of weight very dangerous situation going on in mayburg,. in the 60s mayburg gave ownership of bridge to forestry dept they were supposed to maintain the bridge but haven't and it is
in bad shape also Collins pines could put a gate at top of hill and no one could get to their property. its a shame that our government wastes money left and right investigating everything under the sun on trump but cant give money for a new ---- bridge. as usual the little guy will lose.
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmack View Post
the bridge is gonna stay open for now, there was a meeting last week with the forestry dept, they are gonna try and come with a solution. I guess it will cost like 3 mill to replace bridge and the forestry dept don't want to pay for it. and yes there are residents I believe 7 of them that will be cut off from everything if bridge closes the hill is very bad especially if it snows then thaws then freezes nothing but ice there is already a weight restriction on bridge one car at a time, so if a fire or ambulance or electric truck is needed they cant cross bridge because of weight very dangerous situation going on in mayburg,. in the 60s mayburg gave ownership of bridge to forestry dept they were supposed to maintain the bridge but haven't and it is
in bad shape also Collins pines could put a gate at top of hill and no one could get to their property. its a shame that our government wastes money left and right investigating everything under the sun on trump but cant give money for a new ---- bridge. as usual the little guy will lose.

Thanks for the update Schmack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page