State forest lease camp? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

State forest lease camp?

Does anyone know how to find out who ownes a particular state lease camp.

There is a camp beside my friends that has not had any activity at in some time and I would like to find out who ownes it and see if they are interested in selling.

I tried contacting the DCNR and they would not give me any information.

Does anyone have any leads on how to find out who ownes it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:48 PM

Several years ago I looked into purchasing a camp on state game lands in the Pocono area. The deal was that I could purchase the building but the land belonged to the GC. And any changes to the structure would have to be submitted to the GC for approval prior to them being made. And, as the real estate lady told us under FULL DISCLOSURE, that she had never experienced any such request being approved - or even responded to. Thus, the buildings that we saw, all having been constructed just after WWII and some even earlier, were in horrible condition and in some cases unsafe for habitation.
Her candid explanation - The State of PA had, back in the day, thought it would be a good idea to build some structures on game lands and then sell them to people. People bought them and used them and then the state decided that this was not such a good idea and wanted to end the program. However, as the original contract was written, owners could pass the structures down to relatives and in many cases this is what was done. BUT - there is the prohibition against improvements and without these improvements the structures will become uninhabitable, literally fall down and the ground will be cleared of the detritus. The buildings we were shown had all seen better days and we saved our money.
It's a cruel world sometimes.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:56 PM
The Man

To the best of my knowledge, DCNR is phasing out those leases, and they will no longer be renewed. I'm not sure, but it may not be permissible to transfer ownership either, in fact that may be what has already happened to the structure you're looking at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've owed a state forest lease for about 14 years. I pay $200 a year to lease the land. I get inspected every 3 years because I must maintain the property. I've put a new roof and windows in it. I asked to build a deck and a shed. Both were approved. Getting a regular bank loan is pretty tough from what I understand because you don't own the land. The only stipulation is you have to be a PA resident to buy it. Mine is in the Tuscarora SF.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:06 PM

Interesting and glad this is working out for you. I wonder if the ones we saw were under some sort of different process or whatever that prevented upgrades and improvements?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:18 PM
The Man

Jimsdad, you said the buildings you saw were on PGC SGL land. The one the OP is talking about, as well as bucksnort, is DCNR State Forest property, not the same thing.
jimbridger and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:34 PM

SGL leases are running out. If not already gone. I don't know of any new ones. Knew a guy that had one on SGL 57 and they did not allow him to make improvements to the tin shack. It rusted out and he moved on. Another on on SGL 57 burnt down many years ago and the guy moved a bus in to use as a camp. Last I seen the bus was still there but no one uses it.

There are a few on the state forest that are still going and improvements happen all the time. One in the Lackawanna State forest is back behind the gates and was a surprise when these guys came driving past me one day.

The thing is I have heard that the policy is not applied evenly across the state. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/group...cnr_009385.pdf
jimbridger likes this.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:13 PM

I know nothing about leases on PGC land, but the DCNR camps are certainly going strong. In fact I saw a contractor totally remodeling a place on DCNR land a few weeks ago. Makes sense to keep people happy and allow them to do upgrades rather than have a bunch of run down shacks that the state will eventually have to pay to clean up/remove. They're certainly still able to be transferred because I've seen a few places on the market recently. Of course the DCNR would need to approve the transfer I'm sure.

Would it be possible to find the owner via tax records? The lessee is responsible for the taxes, so there should be some public records available.
jimbridger likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:15 PM

Under no circumstances are new leases being granted.Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page