Dormer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CROW MASTER

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Dormer

Has anyone added a dormer to get extra space on a second floor? We have an attic space, and I was thinking of adding a dormer the length of the one side of the cabin to make that two new bedrooms and a 1/2 bath. I was just curious if anyone has done this, and what the expense was?

I am living the dream! I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 03:32 PM

Are you thinking about a shed roof dormer (not a gable type) ?

Are trusses used now ? If so, that could be a problem, or just add more to the cost. If just new rafters from a ridge "beam", shouldn't be too difficult

It may be less expensive to start the sides of the dormer 2' - 4' in from each end to eliminate modifying the edge of the existing roof. Also consider what the new slope / pitch of the roof on the dormer will be, and will it be adequate.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 05:30 AM
Frequent Contributor

as above have said just about anything can be done its just a matter of cost.

as plinker said ridge and rafter would be a lot easier and cheaper and certainly staying in from the end walls would make it a lot easier.

if the current build is ridge and rafter style with a flat 1st floor ceiling its likely that the ceiling joists are not going to be of proper size to

support floor load.

if there is not a staircase to the attic space you will loose some 1st floor space to accommodate the new staircase.

make sure there is adequate egress windows and escape rope ladders upstairs.

I would also suggest hard wired smoke and or smoke/co units that are tied to units on the first floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 06:15 PM
Sage

Having built both, a shed roof style dormer is generally quicker/easier to build than a gable one. Plus a zillion for not running it out to the end of the existing roof, as mentioned above. You can cut out trusses to add a dormer, IF you or someone that can help, knows how to properly redo the original truss bracing to maintain integrity.

If, for example your original ceiling joists are 2x6s, there are ways to increase their strength to support a floor. Again, consult someone that knows how to do that correctly.

If you don't plan on using that new " second floor" space regularly (say maybe just for a week or less, during deer season) and don't want to lose the space on the first floor that a stairway needs, can always use a pull down for access. They come with their own set of issues and aren't practical if the new space is going to be used often.

If I was younger, I'd tear off most of the ridge/rafter roof on the original 12x20 part of our cabin and add more space. It wasn't supposed to be the permanent camp when built on piers in 1980, so it's a 4 pitch with not much insulation in the 7'6" ceiling. The newer and much bigger part of the shanty, has higher, open beam ceilings and is much nicer.

Best wishes.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

See if these pictures come through
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8453.JPG (910.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8015.JPG (1.25 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9430.JPG (524.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7256.JPG (988.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6990.JPG (919.5 KB, 10 views)
DennyF likes this.

Last edited by CROW MASTER; 01-08-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page