Am I being over protective - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Am I being over protective

The first Sat night of rifle season I go after a guy that is pulling across the road and shinning his headlights into the fields. He backs in my driveway and the neighbors. I told him what he was doing was illegal. He told me he didn't care. i told him i had him on video and was gonna take a pic of his plates. He took off like a raped ape and i haven't seen him since. Kicked a guy off of my property Tue. He said he had permission from the land owner. I told him he died last year and I've owned it for 2 years. He packed up and left. Went to my other cabin and on the way back a truck stopped in the middle of the road and the passenger got out, standing in the middle of the road aiming at something. I beeped my horn and he got back in and they flew out the road. i come out of the mountains tonight and see a blazer going 5 mph down the road. They turn around and are going up the road 5 mph. I discard my gear and follow them in my truck. They wave me past, but I don't. They figure it out go. Coming back, I see a Jeep coming out of the neighbors driveway that shouldn't be there. trow in the 4 road hunters that go around the block and that is my 2 weeks at camp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:26 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Oh the joys of Huntingdon Co. Bucksnort, not sure if you live there permanently or not, but I would be careful if the folks you are dealing with are locals. I've seen a lot of camps mysteriously go up in flames because new property owners would come in and kick out locals from hunting. One of the game wardens I am good friends with said his worst tenure to date was his time in Huntingdon Co, the locals there are one of a kind.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:46 AM
The Man

Most of the stuff I agree with you on except you following the guys go 5 mph in the blazer. I would of probably got out of the vehicle and flipped out on you. I will often drive back roads looking for deer. Last week I went out in the evening to wait for my dad and brother to get out of the woods. I drove all along the roads looking for deer to kill time. I would of been irate if someone started following me. Not everyone driving around is a poacher and it’s a free country. If you don’t have a badge you have no right to harass me and I will confront you in a not so nice way if you decide to do so.
rrroae and .204 like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:04 AM
Part of the Community

WOW so you are the self appointed deputy of that area. I agree with Steel, you follow me at 5mph and won't pass I will find out what your problem is. Most people try to make nice with the locals not agitate them. Good luck
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by .204 View Post
WOW so you are the self appointed deputy of that area. I agree with Steel, you follow me at 5mph and won't pass I will find out what your problem is. Most people try to make nice with the locals not agitate them. Good luck
I can see them make the laps around the block 4 or 5 times a day from my tree stand. My cabin has 5 bullet holes in it now. The neighbors are in the tree line hunting at the end of the field. Why wouldn't I want to move these guys out of my area?
CROW MASTER likes this.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:14 AM

And this is the problem with trespass laws. Good ethics are getting harder and harder to find.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:35 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnort1 View Post
I can see them make the laps around the block 4 or 5 times a day from my tree stand. My cabin has 5 bullet holes in it now. The neighbors are in the tree line hunting at the end of the field. Why wouldn't I want to move these guys out of my area?
This is one of the things that gets to me. You or your neighbors can make any sort of ruckus you want to on your private property during deer season. Cut wood, target shoot or even throw a party. Anyone hunting close by canít do a thing about it and many on here would come to your defense in your right to use your property however you see fit. At the same time you donít own the public road so you have no right to harass those who drive up and down it. Unless you catch them in the act of poaching deer from their vehicle they are innocent until proven guilty.
It seems like some property owners want to control everything. They get mad if someone puts a tree stand too close to their property line or people just driving on a public road that parallels their property. Thatís not right.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:23 AM

You may be being a little over zealous bucksnort🙂. I get where your coming from though. I have friends who own property who drive themselves nuts trying to patrol their property during deer season. Seems to take all the fun out of hunting for them.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:47 AM
The Man

I totally understand why he is agitated. Even the guys he mentioned who weren’t doing anything wrong would annoy me. I would leave them alone though unless I witnessed them breaking the law.
I park in a huge open lot at work. One day I came back to my truck and it was keyed from the driver side door all the way to the end of the tailgate. On that particular day I parked further down the isle and took a spot another car parks in every single day. I am almost 100% the owner of that vehicle is the one that did it but I have no proof. Even though I want to retaliate there is nothing I can do about even though I think about beating him within a inch of his life on a daily basis. I have no proof other than putting two and two together and there is a slight chance that maybe it wasn’t him.
You just can’t take it upon yourself to put the law in your own hands and start harassing people because of intuition or because they are annoying you.
dce likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Regular Visitor

I came across two hunters on the land I hunt and informed them it is private property. They said they had permission from the owner who I informed them passed away and another family member took it over but didn't push it. We talked a little deer hunting and they were on their way. They were locals and I didn't mention it to the new owner. I think the thing that bothered me was they saw me and know other people were hunting but they just came on the land anyway. We know people come on this land during the week but at least they could stear clear for the three days we are there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page