Tricks you play at camp... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Tricks you play at camp...

What tricks have you played on one another while at deer camp?... Lets here them...

I once had a small box of chocolate covered raisins, while out scouting the Sunday before opening day with a couple of buds. I came across a pile of loose deer crap pellets, put some chocolate covered raisins next to it and called my buds over and told them I could tell by the taste of them if were a Buck or a Doe. They said "No Way",. I reached down and grab some and began to chew it up I told them that if it tasted sweet it was a Doe and if it was bitter then it was a Buck. The one guy darn near lost his breakfast right there as I swallowed the raisins...Never laughed so hard in my life....
delhunter, DennyF, bohunr and 6 others like this.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....

Last edited by SlickShot; 11-27-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

At deer camp maine, older guy went with us, first time ever leaving NJ to hunt, so he was a little nervous about the northwoods.
Well, he broke out these huge Bigfoot looking type of boots, told him be careful because the red squirrels up here will take those boots as a threat, and might try to attack you, belive it or not but he fell for it. He said after the 1st day that the squirrels kept coming very close to him and then let out a chatter, so he kept moving spots.
To top it off we would put leaves in his boots at night while he was sleeping, when he found the leaves in the morning we said it's too late for you and your boots, that the alpha squirrel must of zone in on you and your sent and will always try to mark your boots one way or another, hence putting leaves in them. This went on for 6 days . Never told him, but still laugh my butt off telling the story
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:05 AM

Years ago I went bear hunting in Maine. The "outfitter" (drunk guy who sold a few bear hunts to keep him in beer) left a phony lottery ticket on the ground. I found it, told him someone had lost it, he said it was probably from the group he had the week before, "findahs keepas, it's yours". I scratched it off, saw I'd won $5,000, and went to the convenience store, where they told me it wasn't a real lottery ticket (I guess the disclaimer on the back in small print that said "only payable to Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny" should have been my hint). We all had a good laugh at my expense, I can take a joke as well as the next fella.

Anyway, he wouldn't let it go. For 5 days after that I got to listen to him rag on and on about the lottery ticket, and it was starting to get old. "We really got you good butchah, ayy yuppp..." (I was a meat cutter at the time). I guess they don't have much to do for laughs in northern Maine. Anyway, I got the last laugh, killed the only bear in camp, and stiffed him on the tip on the way out, Hardy-har-har.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 12:44 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bought a very realistic human skeleton and put the bones out around my buddy's stand. Spread them out a little, half-buried some and partially covered others with sticks and leaves. Put the skeleton out about a month before camp so they could be out in the elements and get a nice, weathered look to him.

The idea was that he would start seeing this stuff as it was getting light out in the morning and creep him out in the stand. He went to check on his stand Sunday during daylight and found it. It still fooled him. Was going to put an old, ratty t-shirt around the ribs and spine. I was a little worried that someone else might find it and call the cops.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 01:12 PM
The Man

Down at Lily Pond this year we had a middle-aged guy from Connecticut that was hunting for the first time and was obviously scarred of the woods and the dark. He asked us "What do you do if you shoot a deer and it's not dead?"

Wanting to put his mind at ease, I of course, regaled him with my story of fighting with a buck with a broken back up and down the mountain till I could pin it down and slit it's throat. And, the time I wrestled a turkey gobbler on the steep side and finally chocked it out after taking a good flailing. He particularly found the stories of tracking wounded boar hogs through the South Carolina swamps less than comforting, and then there was the one about the bear getting in my ground blind with me in Maine. There are plenty of bears at Lily, and he asked if one could climb into a stand if it wanted to. Once again, wanting to put his mind at ease, I told him "only the ones under 300 pounds can get up into the stands."

He ended up riding with us in the truck and insisted on hunting box blinds where he could close and bolt the door, and that he be dropped off last and be picked up first so as to spend as little time in the dark as possible.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Lets hear some more tricks...The one above are pretty funny....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:14 AM

Waiting for the kid in camp to fall asleep the night before buck season, than changing the time on all the clocks in camp. Wake kid up around midnight, feed him breakfast and send him to his stand by 12:30 am, with him thinking it’s almost daylight.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:12 AM
Sage

Three of us were diehard 'chuck hunters for decades, always made multiple trips to camp to shoot rodents, often three or four days in early July when most of the hay fields around there had been cleaned off.

Any chance that presented itself to set someone up with a dead 'chuck and suck 'em into shooting at it, was a good day. Hard to pull off, since we were usually all together.

The year we'd built the camp addition and went up frequently to get the interior done before deer season, worked out well for me. Other two took a break, drove around for a few hours shooting 'chucks, while I stayed behind. I took a break from finishing up some trim work, went up the road a bit to shoot a big one I could see from camp.

Fired a few shots at it from up the road, mostly just threw dirt on it at about 500 yards. It's hole was under a small rock outcropping on a hillside hay field. Finally hiked up the wooded hill to get behind it, sat up there until it finally came out again and bush whacked it from behind. Went down and propped it up at the hole, made it look pretty inviting and went back to work again.

Half hour later, the boys drove past, stopped and glassed the fields up the road.

They spotted it, went down into a field, set up and fired two shots at it. After the second shot sprayed it with dirt, it finally toppled over a few seconds later. There was a pause, then lots of profanity from up where they'd set up.

After that, if they thought there was the slightest chance I'd propped one up near camp, they'd glass "forever" before deciding to go and take a whack at it. Got to the point a 'chuck would actually hafta move a bit, before anyone would take a shot.

I'd often ask if they were gonna look at it until it died from sunstroke - or go shoot the dang thing?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 06:32 AM
The Man

Back in the early 1970's our Deer Camp had 25 hunters and the fun never ended. Night before the opener I'm going to bed early while many were still up and full of mischief. Next morning I'm up early and out the door with my backpack which was all packed the night before. I climb up the mountain to the top bench, then up the tree with my Baker tree stand. Had a rope attached to my backpack to pull up my stuff after I got situated in my stand. As I pulled up the pack I couldn't help but think how heavy the darn thing was. Started to unpack everything and when I got to the bottom of the back pack there were 5 nice size rocks laying in the bottom of my pack. Brutal!

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 07:33 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Waiting for the kid in camp to fall asleep the night before buck season, than changing the time on all the clocks in camp. Wake kid up around midnight, feed him breakfast and send him to his stand by 12:30 am, with him thinking itís almost daylight.
That's an oldy but a goody. What you need to do is change all the clocks and screw everyone. Harder these days when everyone has a call phone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page