Cherry Springs fuel thief - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cherry Springs fuel thief

Just an FYI if you have a camp in Cherry Springs. My granparents just got up to camp this morning, turned on the furnace and no heat. they checked the fuel tanks outside and were completely empty. $1600 of fuel was just put in on labor day. The police have a pretty good idea who it is. there is a guy they caught that has been stealing gas cans from all the camps so the police are going to have a chat with him. The driveway is about 80 yards long with a gate that is locked at the bottom. The police think he drove a 4 wheeler on the pipeline that is about 150 yards from camp and could easily access the cabin through the woods that way. 3rd time in 36 years we have had a break in. Hope they get him.
bigguy54 and bobdoo like this.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Banned

I hope they catch him and fry him.
bohunr and huntr4477 like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Grrrrrr. I was just up last weekend. Was checking out a few for sale around your way. Looking for a little more elbow room. The tank at my current camp is getting low after 12 years (Can you tell I don't get up much). Who do you use for your fuel oil delivery? The last place I used is out of business.

Do your Sportin' in Wharton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:18 PM

Some people are total SCUM. I agree with WW.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:54 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
Just an FYI if you have a camp in Cherry Springs. My granparents just got up to camp this morning, turned on the furnace and no heat. they checked the fuel tanks outside and were completely empty. $1600 of fuel was just put in on labor day. The police have a pretty good idea who it is. there is a guy they caught that has been stealing gas cans from all the camps so the police are going to have a chat with him. The driveway is about 80 yards long with a gate that is locked at the bottom. The police think he drove a 4 wheeler on the pipeline that is about 150 yards from camp and could easily access the cabin through the woods that way. 3rd time in 36 years we have had a break in. Hope they get him.
How could they haul that much fuel oil with a 4 wheeler?

$1600 worth would be about 500 gallons, right? At about 6 lbs/gallon that would be 3000 pounds or 1 1/2 tons.

Were there tire tracks visible?

Just trying to play online detective...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:53 AM
Sage

Sorry to hear. Hope the thieves are apprehended!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert View Post

$1600 worth would be about 500 gallons, right? At about 6 lbs/gallon that would be 3000 pounds or 1 1/2 tons.

My grandparents have not been up in weeks so this probably happened over a period of time. It just recently snowed for the police to check for tracks. If your a local up there it would be very easy to get to most of the cabins from the pipeline. If your lucky enough not to get caught and drive through the woods to most of the cabins. The one cabin thats about 150 yards beside us is owned by a lawyer and they might come up once a year never lock their gate so that is another possibility. It hangs wide open all the time. Somebod obviously did their homework. There is also a 4 wheeler trail my little cousin made last year that goes from our property and run beside the cabin next door. The first time our camp was broke into was probably 20 years ago and the way the did it was using a snowmobile. They would ride on the pipeline and came through the woods on their snowmobiles and hit different cabins. They didnt get caught as it was hard to follow when everyone was snowmobile riding the pipeline to the snowmobile trails. The second time my heroin addict cousin my grandparents youngest grandson parked at the gate in between deer and bear season walked the whole way up the lane cut the locks on the shed got a wheelbarrow filled it with all the power tools hauled it to the bottom and put it in his truck, went back up pried open the front door and stole tv, guns ect.. He got caught which wasnt too hard he was not the brightest apple and was selling this stuff to friends of my grandparents. Needless to say he is in jail but not for that, grandparents didnt press charges but he is in jail for arson.

4B
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert View Post

Was wondering that myself.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:50 AM
Sage

Couple ATVs towing tank trailers. Likely this wasn't their only target. Curious if any other reports in the area??

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:59 AM

Wish your family the best of luck catching the thief . Please keep us updated . If nothing else , it may help others here to better secure their camps .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page