Camp Dinner Ideas - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Camp Dinner Ideas

It's getting time to start thinking about camp dinners. I cook one night each camp and always want to out-do myself. It gets harder each year. What are some good ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:16 AM
The Man

Location: TN,Susquehanna,Wyoming,Bradford,Lackawanna, Tioga Co, PA , Steuben Co, NY & Sevier Co TN
Venison stroganoff over egg noodles. Yum!
CROW MASTER likes this.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:18 AM
Part of the Community

Even though thanksgiving is coming up, my fellow huntin' campers love when I bring the turkey fryer up and do a blackened fried turkey. We then boil the skeleton and non edibles and make turkey soup. I'm starting to like fried turkey soup better then grandmas roasted turkey soup! GL on your choices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:53 AM
Banned

Take a venison hind quarter, remove the bone and put a couple of cloves of garlic, flattened with a knife blade and the heel of your hand inside the opening you removed the bone from along with a stick or two of butter depending on the size of the hind quarter. Take cotton cord string and tie the roast closed. salt and pepper the roast and put it in a roasting pan , covered,with whole carrots and while onions around it. Put the roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 20 minutes then uncover and turn back heat to 300 to 325 degrees, roast 3 to 3 1/2 hrs or till inside temp is 130 for medium rare or 135 for medium. When done remove the roast from the roasting pan and place on cutting board or platter and cover with foil to rest for about 15 minutes. While the roast is resting remove the carrots and onions from the pan and put into a bowl, cover with foil and put them in a turned off oven with the door open about 4 inches to stay warm. Put peeled potatoes in a pot of salted water and bring to boil, trun back to simmer and cook potatoes till soft and make mashed potatoes. While potatoes are cooking put the roasting pan on a burner, put about a pint of cold water in a shaker or a jar with a lid, add several tables spoons of four and salt and pepper to taste and shake until mixed, then on the burner and add the flour and water and bring to a boil, stir constantly with a whisk until the gravy thickens to a consistency you want and remove from heat. Take one of the carrots from the oven and smash it fine and stir it into the gravy.. Slice the venison which should have some pinkness in the center, serve with the carrots and onions and the gravy. Since this will take several hours you may want to sneak out for a couple to hunt while the roast is cooking.
and there was no
I used to make this every year at duck camp in MD with 4 lbs of mashed potatoes and there was nothing left at the end of the meal.

Last edited by Woods walker; 10-22-2018 at 02:19 PM.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

WW - that sounds great. I could pick Sunday for my dinner and then spend time in the kitchen without missing out on hunting. Or, get a buck in archery.

I did a turkey dinner back in 2013. It was good and nobody minded a Thanksgiving dinner so close to Thanksgiving.

I was also thinking about a baked ham.

If we get a bear in archery, then it's definitely a bear roast dinner. Not holding my breath on that one, though.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:20 PM
Banned

Good luck!
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

For breakfast my wife makes what she calls easy breakfast. Its torn up bread, eggs, beacon, sausage and cheese all mixed together, baked, cut into squares then frozen. When its time one or more of the squares are tossed in the nuke and two or three minutes later breakfast is ready.

For dinners we each bring a pre made frozen meals Last year my contribution was a pecan smoked mac,cheese and ham casserole and candied sweet potatoes. Another brought sliced turkey, filling and gravy and another ham potpie.
Why pre made frozen meals? After hunting all day we're usually too tired, hungry and lazy to whip something together so we'll set whatever out in the morning to thaw then toss it in the oven as soon as someone gets back to camp. By the time we're done putting gear away, taking showers and etc its ready to stuff in our yaps.

Bill
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Time Bake is also your friend at camp. Pop a meal in there at lunch and have the oven come on at 3:00. Done at 6:00.

I don't mind cooking after the hunt. The kitchen is the social center and we recall the days events while making dinner. We have 10 guys so showers take a while.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Loved the 9 guys at camp,But,They ain't getting my hind quarter. Having chile and dogs Fri.prime rib Sat,walleye Sun.meatloaf Mon.kraut and pork Tues. pizza and subs Wed. venison stew Thurs. bake lasagna with deer sausage Fri. Big breakfast on the first Sat.& Sunday only. Lunch, huge pot bean soup,lunch meat and cheese during the week,With a couple bricks limburger for the true deer hunters Head home Sat.night for some rest!

Last edited by 59Willys; 10-22-2018 at 12:52 PM.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 01:50 PM
Part of the Community

Can't beat beer can chicken cooked on the charcoal grill served with stove top stuffing, gravy and a veggie.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE - SOMEONE PAID!!! ALL GAVE SOME - SOME GAVE ALL!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page