Guests - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Guests

For those of you that belong to a camp or lease with other individuals, what’s the policy on hunting guests? Are they allowed? If so, do they have to pay a fee?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:30 PM

I don't belong to a camp in the sense of many traditional PA camps, but I was raised going to a family camp and have successfully assimilated a few friends. Lend a hand. Don't be selfish. No one cares about your hunting ability, or lack thereof. Don't be a diva. Don't be a loudmouth bunghole. Just be a decent person. Just bring more to the table than you take and you will be invited back. Pretty simple rules.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 PM
The Man

The second best thing you can do when forming a camp is have a written guest policy in your bylaws. The BEST thing you can do is have written bylaws! It's the only way a group dynamic will work. You may not think it is needed amongst friends, but bylaws will more than likely save many more friendships than it will end.

Most camps allow guests (many may not allow them the first few days of the firearms season). Some charge, some don't. Usually a nominal fee($10-$25/day). Usually limits placed on number of guest per day(one /day is common). Many limit number of guest days per year or season per member. Some camps do not allow guests to shot does.

A lot depends on the number of members, size of cabin, amount of hunting ground. But the best way to avoid tension and confusion is get together as a group , hash out the rules, write them down, and abide by them.
savage303 and outofstater like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:55 PM

potter camp has a $6 a night per guest rule. guest can avoid this by attending work days. Guest will be included in split of food cost.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:52 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Location: Emigsville, York Co.; McCarroll Corner, Sullivan Co.
You notify the membership that you're bringing a guest. No women. Sons, grandsons, nephews get priority. $25 per day (1/2 price for students). Includes food and money towards cook.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 07:09 AM
Sage

"Guests" I invite are very close friends who also have camps, fishing boats, hunting land etc that reciprocate offering invites to me. NO MONEY involved. Found this to work out quite well. I'm camps sole owner which I also found to work well....don't need no by laws. Close family relatives invited....no charge but graciously accept donations.
bigguy54, oaktowntom and bobdoo like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:08 AM
Sage

I don't belong to a camp in the sense of many traditional PA camps, but I was raised going to a family camp and have successfully assimilated a few friends. Lend a hand. Don't be selfish. No one cares about your hunting ability, or lack thereof. Don't be a diva. Don't be a loudmouth bunghole. Just be a decent person. Just bring more to the table than you take and you will be invited back. Pretty simple rules.

Yep. Back in the 70s I went up to a BIL's camp on SF land in Union County several times. IIRC they had around a dozen members at the time and rules for who could come in deer seasons.

Since I had gone up for trout season and helped with several work parties during trout seasons, that got me "in the door" for deer seasons.

My deer season visits were the first Saturday, since I'd been up in Tioga Co. for opening days.

At the time they had a bunk room, kitchen and living room w/stone fireplace.

The living room had a "day bed" in one corner and I got to sleep in there by the crackling fireplace, also got up during the night and kept the fire going. One year another member showed up late Friday night and demanded the day bed. Rest of the guys told him I'd staked that out, so he was SOL.

He was about the most useless member according to the rest of the guys. Seldom showed up for work parties, complained constantly and always had to be nagged about chipping in for food, etc. Plus as one member pointed out, if I slept in the living room Friday night, the fire was kept up. He never did that if he was in there.

On one first Saturday, he claimed I was lost and he'd found me, as I was making my way back up the mountain to where we'd parked that morning.

I came out within fifty yards of the truck. He'd gone off to the northwest, after claiming I was headed in the wrong direction. We waited awhile for him and headed out. Over a quarter mile down the SF road, there he was looking like a lost puppy. We drove right on past him, left him back there yelling, then stopped and backed up.

They eventually chucked him outta the camp. BIL asked if I'd like to "buy in", but I declined the honor, since Tioga Co. was and is my primary place to be.

If a camp allows guests, follow Elk Yinzer's simple rules and you'll most likely be welcomed back.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:16 AM
New Arrival

We have a $10 per night fee written into our by-laws only applicable during "big game" seasons. In all reality, it's not enforced as the full membership is rarely up at the same time. Was more of an issue back in the day when the hunting was really good. Even in our camp where all the membership is family, its good to have something written in stone, solves arguments pretty quickly.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The camp that I used to belong had rules about "Guests", but fee's werent included for the guest. Basically, if its your guest, its your responsibility, if he screws you then you screwed up.

However, not to hijack this thread but IMO, bylaws are the worst thing a camp could have. I felt that we were a close group of guys and we ranged in different ages. When I joined I was 18 and I would say the oldest member was in his last 60's early 70's.

We would all go to camp for May work details, fishing season and squirrel season and we always had a lot of fun. Card playing, camp fires and stories on the swing was something I always enjoyed. However, when people started taking advantage of the bylaws that drove everyone apart, I dont belong to that camp anymore. I now go to a camp another ex-camp member has built and there arent any bylaws. We invite people who we know are good people, and we dont need to enforce laws.
rrroae likes this.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 09:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have my friends up for fire and drinks. If I have someone come up to hunt or fish I make it very clear that they are welcome, but I am not their guide and they need to scout and pick their own spots. When I first got the camp I couldn't stand when people would want to come and want we to post them in a spot.
I believe they should also leave a little cash or carry the burden of food and beer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page