Solar Set Up - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cspot

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Solar Set Up

We recently purchased an off grid camp in the Moshannon State forest. It has gas lighting, and is wired for a generator. I more or less would like to see what it would take to install a small solar system to run some lights, and maybe an alarm clock and coffee pot. It would be nice to just flip a switch when you wake up in the morning. I'm assuming I can get by with a relatively small and cheaper set up for this. I have no idea what i would need to buy, or what option are available for that kind of setup. I do have wiring knowledge and am pretty handy with whatever. What are some suggestions from you guys that have gone that route?

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 07:40 PM

If you keep everything 12V it sure makes things easier and cheaper if you just basically need just lights. Mine is a 50Watt panel with a single marine battery. If you start going for 110V and want to run alot of stuff the solar needed will start to get pretty expensive. I am running my fan on my composting toilet, lights, phone and DVD charging, and a 12V RV pump for water. I have found this system keeps up fine. I figure if I am there for a week in bad solar times, I may have to use my generator and a battery charger to help it out. So far in the last year I haven't had that issue. I use my genny for the toaster, tools, vacuum, and basically anything that has a large electrical requirement. I have links below.

This is a thread that I started last year that has links to what I bought.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/80-...lar-setup.html

This is my cabin thread which does show some pics. I made some brackets under my cabin to hold the battery.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/80-...ets-cabin.html

I think the only thing I didn't link was the 12V LED light bulbs that I got that fit in a standard fixture.

For coffee, I use this. Heat the water on my propane stove. It isn't the greatest but it makes a good cup. There is also some other things like a french press that you can make coffee with electricity.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-My...SABEgLqfvD_BwE

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 07:55 PM

If you start doing alot of reading on solar it can really blow your mind. JasonN and some others on here were a huge help to me and coached me along to this simple setup. You can check out his cabin thread to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the input. It seems simple enough. I suppose for light you could just use porcelain holders with a pull cord, and then wire them to the switches. That way you can use them independantly of wanted.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:28 PM

That is what I did. However when I finished the inside I got these to make it look a little better. I have most of them on a switch but then I use the pull cords to only have light where needed.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Years ago we bought a battery and a few lights from goal zero. It is simple to use and set-up if that is the route you want to go but the stuff is expensive compared to building your own set-up. Our battery is on a solar panel and it seems to keep up with our needs for lights. If I were starting off I would make my own set-up but we are looking at having electric run into the camp if we can swing the finance part.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:07 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

For batteries, is it better to use 2 6v batteries wired in series or the obvious 12v battery. Asking because someone told me that the 6v are constructed better.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdoo View Post
For batteries, is it better to use 2 6v batteries wired in series or the obvious 12v battery. Asking because someone told me that the 6v are constructed better.
I have heard that has well. I think alot of people use golf car batteries. My solar experience is limited though and I have never tried them.
bobdoo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page