Camp mildew - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Camp mildew

Budd y went to NE Bradford co. camp last weekend and the camper had mildew in the fridge which was off and doors cracked open like we always do. Some spots on the walls and ceilings. We leave 3 roof vents open as always and in 5 years with this camper have never had an issue. The excess rain and humidity has been terrible. We also had a mouse problem worse than ever. Water bucket with can spinner and peanut butter bait had only 2 mice and mold all over the peanut butter. I suspect the extreme wet contributed to the mice coming in.
How has your camp fared with all this. Going up this weekend with bleach to wipe the walls down. Any other good ideas for mice control?

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

mice are a major PIA for me. I do the bucket trap. I've got poison under the house. I've used moth balls. I installed the electronic sound boxes. We have garter and black snakes. I still have mice. I've heard rosemary oil will help, but haven't attempted that yet.
No help offered here.
jb

Johnny B
GSP-Briar Dakota
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I used to belong to a camp that didn't have elec and humidity was our worst problem. We installed 2 roof vents to help but that didnt take care of the issue. Between the shade from the hemlocks and dampness, the musty smell was always present when you would first walk in. After a couple hours of opened doors and running fire place, the camp would be back to normal.

We now have a camp that has elec and we run ac/heat when we arent there, always set to 70 degrees until we shut down for winter, that helps with mildew tremendously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:20 PM
The Man

It has been the worst year for mildew I've ever seen. Even had some in my basement bathroom, which has never happened before. While bleach is the old standby, and will do ok for mild mildew problems, it will not kill the mildew spores. X-14 kills the mildew. That's what I use. Be careful not to get it on fabric, as it will bleach anything it gets on. And have lots of ventilation.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 02:15 PM
The Man

As for the Mice, i use D-con poison pellets.
I've always heard that with the poison they will die somewhere inside and smell the place up.
The poison burns up the stomach so the Mice head for water.
So if they can get in they can get out.The only dead mice I find at Camp was in the toilets.
With glue traps they lay and rot till next time you go up.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

Add mine to the musty smell. Went to camp last Friday which I haven't been there in over month. The mold on the shingles is bad too. I plan on cutting more trees down around the camp this winter. Just my luck it will be a dry hot summer and will lose all the shade from the trees I remove.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 03:19 PM
The Man

He probably jinxed himself by naming the place Camp Mildew!
35 whelen likes this.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 07:20 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Always fighting a running battle with the mice but this year is really bad. I always have 6 or 7 traps set and every one will have a dead mouse, no bait and the dang thing did not go off or did go off and missed him. Never had a mildew problem till this year.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 07:44 PM
Sage

I use the ole Victor mouse traps with peanut butter. By the time hunting season is in full swing I normally have them all. Read about a couple bars of Irish Spring soap in areas they frequent will help keepem out. Gonna give that a try.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 07:58 PM

You guys with mice problems , there is a trap I picked up at Agway . It's a galvanized metal box that you wind up . You place bait in one side and the mice go through a tunnel to find it . The tunnel has a trigger in the floor that sweeps them into the bait compartment . Last time I emptied mine , there were 6 dried up carcusses .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page