Cement Block Camp - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Cement Block Camp

Has anyone ever built a concrete block camp ? Looking for some advise on whay to do and also what not to do's .....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would think a CMU wall camp would be more expensive them a wood framed camp.
With that said, building a camp would be the same as any other block construction.
It would certainly hold up to more severe weather issues.
You will have to allow for PT wood window and door surrounds so you have something to anchor the windows and door too.
Running electrical and plumbing may pose a challenge if you intend NOT to frame the interior walls.
Block is a porous material so make sure you water proof where applicable.
Thermal values may not be as good as say a 2X6 framed wall construction unless you frame out the interior walls and insulate that way.
Good luck,
mgdrobert likes this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT

Last edited by EIGHT POINT; 09-26-2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Added thermal values
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 10:35 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Mgdrobert my camp is partly concrete block and the biggest problem is dampness. If I had my choice I'd like a wood frame on pillars. That way you have airflow and no concrete slab that to often is damp. Concrete block is not a problem if your there often to run a dehumidifier or have the wood stove cranked but if your gone a while mildew is a problem.
mgdrobert likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 04:58 PM
The Man

I agree with Buckskin Dave. Dampness is our biggest issue. Second biggest is that paint doesn't stick to the block worth squat and we have to paint it about every third year because it peels, no matter what paint we buy. PITA. My advice is don't do block.
mgdrobert likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:29 PM
The Man

Yep, they are damp and for that very reason paint will not hold up. As Buckskin said, stick frame on pillars, at least 3 feet above grade. Airflow is your friend in a building that will be closed up for extended periods.
mgdrobert likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

My buddy had a block camp and as the others stated the biggest challenge was the dampness. We install a work stove and the would help remove a lot of the moisture. But when you first arrived at camp it took a long time to remove the dampness. Also it took a long time to get the cabin up to temperature. Good luck.
mgdrobert likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 09:28 PM

my wife approved perfect camp would be a concrete slab. I would set superior walls with windows on that slab and trusses directly on the superior walls. nice cozy rancher. rodent proof walls. radiant floors with outdoor wood furnace.

I would not do block. if I bought a block cabin I would build 2x4 walls or tapcon 2x4s on the block walls. then spray foam the walls. best way to get rid of dampness
mgdrobert likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I am getting the 10" cement block for basically .75 per block. this is why I am going with that. But looks like Framing walls inside is good idea. I was also told to put Foam insulation board 2" style on ground before doing floor to help with the dampness.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 03:38 PM
Banned

Chester farmer, I have concrete block below ground level walls in my basement. For years I had dampness problems down there. A good friend who is a builder and home renovation guy told me to spray the walls with foam and it would solve the problem. He knows a guy who does the foam spraying. I had him stud out the walls had a few more electric outlets put in and then had the guy come with his truck and spray foam even with the face of the studs from floor to ceiling. I then had my friend build a huge cupboard for food and canned goods storage and some shelves on another wall after the foam was up. Smartest thing I ever did other than install central air. That closed cell foam gets hard and is durable and my basement is now dry as a popcorn fart and nice to be in. If the OP does build the camp out of block I highly recommend he foams the whole inside, then put his wood paneling or random plank walls or whatever over the foam. It is great insulation and keeps the dampness down. Perhaps even foam the floor if it is on a concrete pad then put the wood floor over it.
mgdrobert likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 04:04 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I then had my friend build a huge cupboard for food and canned goods storage and some shelves on another wall after the foam was up.
Sounds like code for getting the bunker ready in case the Dems. gain control again, WW.

That spray foam is great stuff for controlling dampness on , mgd. Just don't think the foam sheets will do the same. They don't work near as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page