Log Cabin - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Log Cabin

Inquiring what folks do to maintain exterior of log cabins. Pressure wash? Bleach/water scrub? Stain? And how often? Cost/size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 08:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
First don't use "RESTORE" 2x-4x or any other x product on logs,decks,or wood siding.It will rot your wood. Now for log cabins. I stain my logs 20 years ago with a transparent color "chestnut" Then every 3 yrs. I spray with clear waterproof.Next time it will need re-stain. My place is about 900 sq.ft. 5 to 6 gals.is plenty. When young it's fun! Now not so much. A lot of upkeep! But worth it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 08:30 PM

About 20 years ago I built a log sided cabin. I used a clear oil based finish which I thought was a good one at the time. Turns out that oil is a good food souce for mold and mildew. I am now in the process of bleaching (1 part cholorox to 3 parts water, approximately). I am now putting a BEHR solid stain on. Behr claims a 25 year life on the stain with a mildacide added. I like the look of the clear finish but I think the solid stain will do a better job and last longer. A couple of years ago I added an addition and used vertical metal siding.
FWIW. This should last the rest of my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 08:48 PM

I pressure wash every 3 years, and brush on clear Flood polyurethane. Itís about $19 a gallon at Home Depot.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:32 PM
The Man

For mildew try Jomax Cleaner. A quart of concentrate is under $10 and makes 5 gal of cleaner. Spray on with garden sprayer, let sit a few minutes, and the mold and dirt usually disappear. Then rinse. You may need to scrub some tough areas, but often times the mold just disappears. I always give a quick scrub with a push broom type brush for good measure anyway. It's the best siding/log cleaner I have found.
shouldvbeenthere likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:48 PM

My last log home I built in 2000 and used an oil stain which was required by my log supplier for the warrantee. I did this for three coats every three years. However with each coating the stain appeared darker which we did not like as well as the original pecan color. The build up also cause the oil to collect dirt.

Then we checked into a product new to us called Perm-Chink Systems. I do not like power washing logs or decks as it changes the texture; however, in this case we did power wash lightly to remove the surface oil stain build up. Be aware you may have some bleed through to the interior and it needs to be address immediately to avoid stains on the interior.

We choose to use a Honey color with a sealer. The sealer protects the stain and color so we only reseal every 3-5 years and the stain still looks like new.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use X-100 Natural Seal in clear transparent. I hand brushed two coats on in the beginning and reapply every 5-7 years. I have pressure washed but you have to be careful not to damage the logs. There are companies that will blast your cabin with ground corn cob. Im going to try it next time. I'm told it works well and wont damage the log.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use jomax to clean my log siding every 5 years. Then restain with woodguard stain. Jomax is so easy to use as stated before. Apply with garden sprayer and hose it off.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:49 AM
Regular Visitor

I have a log house and a log cabin. I have found that if you power wash and then use a good quality oil-based stain (I highly recommend Sikkens SRD ) then I can make it 9-10 years without doing anything again. If it's in full sun, you may have to do those walls every 5-6 years.

I have never used an algicide or bleach
rrroae likes this.

One Shot...One Kill
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:21 AM

I have a log house. i have used sikkens from the start. I had to restain the weathered side after 4 and 8 years, the rest 5 and 11. Sikkens suggested cleaning with TSP, it works great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page