Gordon and Florence - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Gordon and Florence

ugh...here we go. Susquehanna River going to 21 ft Bradford/Wyoming County by Tues....then Florence hits next weekend. Same thing that happened in 2011 at almost the same time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Sage

We've had other instances of tropical storms moving into PA on the heels of extended periods of rain. Almost all led to flooding to one degree, or another. With the current storm track heading towards the Carolinas and up into the NE, we again have the potential for yet another disaster here.

When Agnes got stuck over central/eastern PA for almost a week in 1972, it rained hard for several days with no let up. That is the worst flood I can recall in my lifetime and I don't recall so much rain coming ahead of it getting here?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF View Post
We've had other instances of tropical storms moving into PA on the heels of extended periods of rain. Almost all led to flooding to one degree, or another. With the current storm track heading towards the Carolinas and up into the NE, we again have the potential for yet another disaster here.

When Agnes got stuck over central/eastern PA for almost a week in 1972, it rained hard for several days with no let up. That is the worst flood I can recall in my lifetime and I don't recall so much rain coming ahead of it getting here?
The projectís flood control capabilities were dramatically demonstrated during the June 1972 floods resulting from Tropical Storm Agnes when an estimated $247 million in flood damages were prevented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:39 AM
Sage

Well, some projects worked better than others in '72.

Sunbury's wall, erected after the 1936 flood, pretty much worked as planned. But from what my in-laws that lived a few blocks from it told me, only just barely.

Williamsport's levee system protected most of the areas it was designed to protect. I think they may have made some improvements to it, since Agnes? At least it looks like they did, when I drive thru there?

Harrisburg has no such flood control systems, so was extensively flooded. Lots of projects took place after Agnes, to control flow into the West Branch - like the Tioga-Hammond and Cowanesque dams and others.

So, we shall see how effective they are, if and when we get that much rain again?

We've had numerous flooding problems here in South Central PA this summer, including recent ones in Lancaster and York counties. Heavy rains closed parts of 283 in Lancaster Co. and 78 in Lebanon Co. just a few weeks ago.

When Interstates have flooding issues, then ya know more work needs to be done. They were supposedly "flood proof", back when they were designed and built.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 12:30 PM
Regular Visitor

current rain total.

Hey folks,
I'm in East Troy just off Rt 6. Started raining here around 6 PM last night and my rain gauge is showing 2.6 inches as of 12 noon. It's still raining. Last rain we had a few weeks back had part of Troy under water and water running over quite a few of the small bridges causing road closures. I recorded almost 20 inches of rain over July and August so the ground is saturated. If the storm coming from the Carolina's brings anything close to what they are predicting down there, on top of what we're getting now, we could be in for some serious flooding.
Lou
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:41 PM
Sage

TV tonight said that Florence is the strongest hurricane since 1954..I remember that one well, Hurricane Hazel,, Oct4, 1954, it took out our chicken houses and a lot of neighbors chicken houses and buildings.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:05 PM
The Man

Quote:

Sunbury's wall, erected after the 1936 flood, pretty much worked as planned. But from what my in-laws that lived a few blocks from it told me, only just barely.

Williamsport's levee system protected most of the areas it was designed to protect. I think they may have made some improvements to it, since Agnes? At least it looks like they did, when I drive thru there?
While Williamsport did receive plenty of flood damage in 72, the damage to the city itself was not as bad as it was in 36. The levy definitely helped.

Loyalsock twp (Golden Strip) is another story. In 72 the area that presently contains Giant and Red Lobster was under 6 feet of water. This area has had many improvements since 72 and hasn't had any major flooding since. I helped muck out a lot of those buildings after the 72 flood when I was a kid.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:13 PM
The Man

The flood in the winter of 96 was one of the worst around here (NC PA). Snowpack, warmed up for two days, rained and melted the snow, flooded and then froze up again. That one caught a lot of people off guard.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:18 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou I View Post
Hey folks,
I'm in East Troy just off Rt 6. Started raining here around 6 PM last night and my rain gauge is showing 2.6 inches as of 12 noon. It's still raining. Last rain we had a few weeks back had part of Troy under water and water running over quite a few of the small bridges causing road closures. I recorded almost 20 inches of rain over July and August so the ground is saturated. If the storm coming from the Carolina's brings anything close to what they are predicting down there, on top of what we're getting now, we could be in for some serious flooding.
Lou
Could very well be a rough 1-2 punch.

As of about an hour ago, my mom's weather station had registered 7.7" of rain for this event. And it's still raining. Gonna be a good long while before the ground will take up any rainfall. If Florence tracks as predicted, we'll probably be getting another nasty round of rain sometime over the weekend...……… Too soon.

demokraten saugen
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:32 PM
The Man

Quote:

Harrisburg has no such flood control systems, so was extensively flooded. Lots of projects took place after Agnes, to control flow into the West Branch - like the Tioga-Hammond and Cowanesque dams and others.

I flew up the Susquehanna right after Agnes. I remember the devastation especially in Harrisburg. It seemed that everything within a 1/2 mile of the river on the east side was under water.

All the river towns around Wilkes Barre had significant damage. They do have some new levies around Wilkes Barre but nothing has changed in Hbg.

In October 1973 a year after Agnes they had another bad storm. I was in Towanda and the Susquehanna flooded the town. That storm caused a lot of flash floods that resulted in road closures for a few days.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page