Solar power system - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Solar power system

Just wondering the approximate cost for a solar power system for a small cabin. Exhaust fan and dehumidifier in the summer, occasionally a portable a/c unit would be the heavy load items in the summer. Usually a weekend at a time so the batteries would have time to charge. We would keep a generator if we would drain the batteries. No real heavy load besides lights and TV in the winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 09:27 PM

A portable AC and dehumidifier both draw quite a few amps so you will need a pretty good system to do it. Not sure of the cost exactly that it would take. I have a small solar setup that I run lights and surflow pump on. I use the generator though to run fans and would use it to power AC if I ever needed it. Since we built our cabin though we haven't needed AC and just use fans when it gets really hot.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:57 PM
The Man

You'll need at least 1,600 watts of solar panels and 800 amp/hrs of batteries(4 Trojan T-105's). Minimum of a 1,500 watt inverter and not the cheap junk variety along with a 40 amp charge controller. Probably around $5k on the low end.

Or you could get an inverter generator such as the Honda Eu2000 for around $1,000 and it will run your ac for about 8 hrs on a gallon of gas and it will be quiet as well.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrroae View Post
You'll need at least 1,600 watts of solar panels and 800 amp/hrs of batteries(4 Trojan T-105's). Minimum of a 1,500 watt inverter and not the cheap junk variety along with a 40 amp charge controller. Probably around $5k on the low end.

Or you could get an inverter generator such as the Honda Eu2000 for around $1,000 and it will run your ac for about 8 hrs on a gallon of gas and it will be quiet as well.
Right now I have a Briggs and Stratton generator but it sounds like a lawnmower running right outside the window. So anything better/quieter would be better.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotjjc3 View Post
Right now I have a Briggs and Stratton generator but it sounds like a lawnmower running right outside the window. So anything better/quieter would be better.

The inverter Generators are really quiet compared to a regular generator. I have a 2000 watt Champion and I like it. I would probably consider going with a Honda as those things last forever. The Champion I bought was on a really cheap sale at Cabelas and I had a bunch of points, so I basically got it for free. That was hard to pass up. If you are running a decent size AC unit you may want to get the 3KW instead of the 2KW. The 2KW is much easier to carry though.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page