Compost toilet - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Compost toilet

Going to buy a composting toilet for the cabin. I pretty much had my mind made up on a Natures Head. While doing more research I came across one called Sepperett. I really like the looks of that one. It really doesnít do any composting in the toilet it just dries it out and gets it ready for composting after you take it out or just throw it in the garbage. Anyone have any opinions on either one of these toilets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have only ever used the Nature's Head brand and I can't compare. What I can tell you is the Nature's Head is extremely nice. Once you figure out the right ratio on water to peat moss/coconut coir it works great. We can go 1-2 months without emptying the toilet (only weekend use). It all depends on how often you use it and how many people. There is no smell in the bathroom, sometimes it gets a little smelly depending on how recently it was used when you empty it. We did have a little problem with some gnats, but a little diatomaceous earth took care of that (recommended by the company). Also, the customer service is top notch. Our handle lost the washer on it and I called to ask how to fix it. Instead they sent me out a new handle no questions asked.
JasonN and bobdoo like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:04 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater86 View Post
I have only ever used the Nature's Head brand and I can't compare. What I can tell you is the Nature's Head is extremely nice. Once you figure out the right ratio on water to peat moss/coconut coir it works great. We can go 1-2 months without emptying the toilet (only weekend use). It all depends on how often you use it and how many people. There is no smell in the bathroom, sometimes it gets a little smelly depending on how recently it was used when you empty it. We did have a little problem with some gnats, but a little diatomaceous earth took care of that (recommended by the company). Also, the customer service is top notch. Our handle lost the washer on it and I called to ask how to fix it. Instead they sent me out a new handle no questions asked.
Tater, where can I find the earth product?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Diatomaceous earth is used in some swimming pool filters so any place that sells swimming pool supplies will have it. I have bought it at Lowes and Home Depot also. Earth is a versatile product that can be used for many things including pest control.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Part of the Community

ducker, I put a sepperett in our cabin last year works great no smell the small fan dries the waste.you don't have to empty everytime just put lid on bucket,it just depends on use solids go in bucket, liquid go in pipe.only draw back is emptying bucket,but you just bread tie bag and put in garbage you still have to empty composting unit to.we had a composting unit and got a sepperett.no fuss with peatmoss or shavings and no flies like Tater said you got to get mixture right for a compost unit to work.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater86 View Post

I agree completely with Tater. After you get past the shock of the price tag it works really well. The urine bottle you do need to empty on every trip to camp. Not an issue if it is a guy only weekend, but if the wife and daughters are along it is. The urine will start smelling pretty strong if you leave it in there for very long.

Also the best time to empty it is when you first arrive at camp after sitting a week or 2.
JasonN likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Fish nitro. When you leave camp you just put a lid on the bucket and donít have to run the fan. When you come back to camp you take the lid off and start the fan up and there is no smell even if it is 3 or 4 weeks between the camp trips? Do you just put a composting bag in the bucket and nothing else and when you empty it you can either compost it or just throw it in the garbage. This sounds a lot easier than the natureís head!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:02 AM
Part of the Community

yes put the lid on fan does not have to run,just remember to start fan before you remove lid and turn off after you put lid on.compost bag goes in garbage.it also has a flap that slides to side when you sit so you don't see into unit
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:47 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdoo View Post
Tater, where can I find the earth product?

We bought ours at True Value.
bobdoo likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:04 PM

I have had issues the last couple of months with tiny bugs/gnats in the toilet. Not sure why as I didn't have this issue last year. Tried the diatomaceous earth, but that didn't fix our problem. I thought maybe the screen on the vent was bad, but it was sealed up good. I just put in some coconut coir to see if it would work better with the bugs.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page