Forest County Tornado 1985 - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 AM
The Man

The hillside on 36 North of Tionesta toward Neiltown has really grown up over the last few years.

2F for a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:55 PM
New Arrival

I remember it well. I used to backpack in the Hickory Creek Wilderness Area often that year. I'd hike in from forest road 119 on the old railroad trace. I'd camp near the forks of Jacks Run and Middle Branch of Hickory Creek and fish. I was there a week before the tornado and planned to go the week of but cancelled because of a schedule change at work otherwise I'd have been there when the tornado hit. When I did return, a few weeks after, there was a huge hemlock tree down across where I would pitch my tent! Had I gone that week I'd still be there! I'm usually in the wrong place at the wrong time but someone was looking out for me.
bohunr likes this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:37 AM
Sage

Same twister, or at least part of that same series, also progressed eastward and struck Elimsport, on the south side of the mountain ridges below Williamsport. Remember heading up Rt. 15 and seeing where the twisther cut a swath thru there.

It destroyed a campground next to Rt. 15, Hidden Creek or something like that? Took years to finally restore it.

Back around that same time frame, one of my longtime huntin'' buddies had moved out to WI to work at UW Madison. He bought a house NW of Madison, at the southern edge of the biggest stretch of forest in that area. I was out there the year they'd moved. House had a concrete wall/ceiling storm "cellar" in the basement.

The tornadoes that came across WI that summer, had destroyed a town to the west of him, Barneyveld, IIRC? Only thing left sanding was the town's water tower.

Some months later, my bud and his closest neighbor, a dairy farmer, were deep into those woods doing some scouting and discovered it had touched down near them and cut a long swath thru those woods. They decided not to tell their wives about that. Looking at a map, with Barneyveld to the west and where the twister had touched down again causing damage to the east, thei woods were nearly in a straight line between those two areas.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:47 AM
Part of the Community

Is that the storm that took down the KINZUA RAILROAD BRIDGE ?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:16 AM
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdoo View Post
Is that the storm that took down the KINZUA RAILROAD BRIDGE ?
No. Kinzua bridge went down in 2003, 18 years after the '85 tornadoes.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:32 AM

back in 1985 i was headed to the State Correctional Institute at Camphill for training. i pulled over near Corry at the small village of Beaverdam because of the rain and hail. i couldnt see ten feet in front of me. when that cleared i continued on my way and went thru Kane where i had to pull over again because of the torrential down pour making travel impossible.

then i cut across 218 and eventually made my way down state to Camphill. i was watching the news in the hotel when i learned about the Tornadoes. they showed a map of where they were. they were in Beaverdam, Kane and somewhere along 218. it looked like they were chasing me across the state.

had i looked in my rear view mirror i might have driven faster. when i saw the damage on my way home i got tingles up and down my spine. the tornado in beaverdam was just about 200 yards from where i pulled over and the one in Kane went down the hill side across the road i drove on.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Frequent Contributor

For a few seasons our bear camp hunted what we called the blow downs outside of Ludlow. The 1985 tornadoes caused the destruction.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:45 PM
The Man

The tornados continued east and cut swaths through the southern block of Sproul State Forest, south of Renovo.

While brook trout fishing in that area, I've seen the swaths. They come over a hillslope, cross the stream, then up the other side. They continued for a long way, crossing several streams.

As someone described, within the swath every tree was flattened. But right next to the swath, the trees appeared untouched.

When exploring the streams in that area, I had some clothing and skin ripping experiences trying to get through the blowdown areas, with brush and briars growing up among all the downed trees.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:32 PM

I've hunted some of the blowdown areas. Great grouse hunting 10 years ago.
Some where I saw a map of the paths the different toradoes took. Anyone know where to find this?
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:55 PM

i tried to google that and found this:

May 31st, 1889 Great Johnstown flood

May 31st 1985 Tornado outbreak, 20 Tornadoes

May 31st 1998 Statewide severe weather outbreak

And this:

https://tornadotalk.com/funnel-featu...nado-outbreak/

Laylow likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in