Building Contractor near Galeton Potter county. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Building Contractor near Galeton Potter county.

Looking for a building reputable building contractor to give me a price on a camp addition. Anyone have some one they can recommend?

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had a Amish contractor last year put my addition on last summer and a metal roof on the addition and the original camp he is out of west bingham. I have his number at the cabin I'm going up this weekend I can get it for you if your interested. I had a hard time finding some one also and I'm happy with what the did and a decent price also.
Ghost likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Please do!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 07:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

As a carpenter for a new home builder the company hires Amish crews to frame our houses. Currently there have been 2 of us that have been in our current house for 5 days trying to correct the issues the Amish left and still probably have 4-5 more days. This is on a house that they framed in 7 days. This isn't something new for us as this is business as usual when dealing with Amish framers. When you try to show them what they did wrong and why they become very offended. It isn't the same crew all the time as I have seen maybe 5 different crews and end up with the same results. They have driven regular framing crews out of business in north Pittsburgh with their low low pricing, now when we have become fed up with them there is no one left other than the amish. As a side note the Mexicans did the same thing with drywall. The last house I trimmed the Amish put the shingles on. Not only was the shingle install bad but so was the roof paper. Tuesday both are being removed on entire house.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 12:02 PM
Part of the Community

I grew up doing carpentry work to my early 20s. I used to despise the amish growing up always bad mouthed them. Kicker is they are no different then any other person. I've seen some great work done by the amish and some horrible work. Just like anyone else you got good ones you got bad ones.

I never worry about laying roof paper perfect. Good carpenter's know how to hide mistakes.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 10:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Superd , When I had my addition built I contacted 4 or 5 "non amish" contractors to give me prices for a 16x32 addition framed in with doors and windows and a new metal roof on the new part and the original cabin pretty decent job and pretty straight forward only one returned my call and he wanted to do it time and material and didn't even want to give me a ball park price , Yeah ok I'm 4 hrs away and were going to do it t&m don't think so. I talk to a local he recommends this young amish crew the owner has his own metal roofing manufacturing building that he makes metal for metal pole barn builders in the area.I make one phone call to his driver set up a appointment to meet on a Sat. at noon in mid June I go over what I want he shows me roofing samples and he figures out a price and he draws up a written contract on the hood of his truck and I write a check for half of the job and I told him no big hurry but would like it dried in by Sept. He gives me a call the following week that he is going to start and another call a day or 2 before July 4th to say he is done and figures I would be up for the 4th to go over the completed job and for final payment. The only problem was the transition from the original cabin and the new was higher by 2" ,I gave him all but $500 of the contract and they repaired the transition and I mailed him the final $500.I wasn't looking to use Amish but nobody else in the area wanted to work so guess who got the job first guy who called back and gave me price . I'm a electrician in the York ,Lancaster area and I hear about the Amish ruining the building trades by working so cheap- I honestly don't see that happening in this area they still have to be a lisc contractor which means liability ins,workers comp,pay taxes,and they even have to pay for a driver to haul the crew around which is another expense that I don't have as a contractor ,the average driver down here charges $15 and hr and he pics them up and sits on the job all day (not doing any work just usually reads a book in the truck) and drives them home at the end of the day so there a extra $600 + a week and most times the Amish foreman owns the truck.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Hey Jake, did you get up to camp?

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 04:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ervin Gingerich did siding, doors, front and back porches and a new metal roof on my house. They don't do interior finish work though. (570) 404-3283. Sounds like who did Jake's work?

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 05:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Ghost , Amos Gingerich 814-320-1985
Ghost likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks Jake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page