Porcupine control help needed! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Porcupine control help needed!

Heard a gnawing of wood Friday morning about 7:00- jumped up, and found a large male porcupine heading under my front deck. Chased him out and made him the first removal of the season. I looked back and he had helped himself to the stinger on my steps. I figured most of my problem was solved. Then this morning I find where another one began feasting on the edge of the deck boards where they overhang at the steps. I put out a hav-a-heart trap with salted apples in it. My neighbor is at their camp and will be watching it for me until I get back on Wednesday. Apparently I have more than 1 porcupine to deal with.

What are some viable solutions to stop them from eating the wood when I'm not there. I have 2 Labrador Retrievers, so I have to watch what I spread on the ground. Is there a spray that I can apply to the wood to make it less appealing?

Wishing I was at camp!

Last edited by Hittingguru; 05-06-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 07:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Flashing of some type on the wood. I hear ya about the dogs.... I have spent 1,000s on quill removal.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 08:05 PM

Iím in an area with high porcupine numbers. I kill a bunch of them, as they have caused extensive damage to buildings. I saw 3 in a tree last Tuesday while turkey hunting. Season closed at the end of March, so they got a pass. Iíve found that they donít seem to range far from their den site, usually a hollowed tree or a rock outcrop. Always a ton of scat pellets there. If it were me, and theyíre causing damage, Iíd seek out their den site that is probably close to your property. And then, borrowing a phrase from Apocalypse Now, deal with them with extreme prejudice.
DIYASUB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 08:29 PM
The Man

Have a heart trap?
Don't relocate, Eradicate.
Dennis Hill likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We had a major problem with them at our cabin in McKean as well when we first put the place up. We no longer have a porcupine problem.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 09:20 AM
Sage

In the 60+ years I've been traveling up to Potter and Tioga, never used to see roadkill porkies much south of Williamsport. They are now found here in Cumberland County and even father south.

The area of Tioga Co. where our camp is, once had a thriving porcupine population for as far back as I can remember. Emphasis on "once". Since we built the cabin in 1980, they had enjoyed trying to destroy it. Wood decks, stairs, railings, siding, porch closet door and so on.

They nearly succeeded in gnawing thru the porch closet door made of T-111, during the period when no one was there, from end of deer season to Easter weekend. Covered it with aluminum coil stock. They moved over a few feet and gnawed on the siding, trim and deck railing. Chewed the siding out back, covered it loosely w/chicken wire. They just found other areas to gnaw up.

Between the gray squirrels and porkies, our camp picnic table now looks like a wood sculpture, except for the one new leg we had to put on it.

To quote Chief Ten Bears, That is all I have to say.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 06:22 PM
Part of the Community

Try a product called "Shake Away". We had a big problem at our camp in McKean. Had 3 pickups damaged one year. This stuff seems to keep them away. Fox urine will also work.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE - SOMEONE PAID!!! ALL GAVE SOME - SOME GAVE ALL!!!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:39 PM

we use to see some around our camp but haven't seen any for about a year now ,out at the old camp we belonged to before the owner sold it and built another camp down the road had problems chewing on his camp
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:00 PM
Part of the Community

Forgot to mention that ammonia sprayed around the camp will also repel them.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE - SOMEONE PAID!!! ALL GAVE SOME - SOME GAVE ALL!!!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 03:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoman View Post
Try a product called "Shake Away". We had a big problem at our camp in McKean. Had 3 pickups damaged one year. This stuff seems to keep them away. Fox urine will also work.
I wouldnít advise using fox urine as a deterrent as it is, in fact, an attractant...
Curly Maple likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page