Camp Kittens - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Camp Kittens

My daughter and her family were up at the cabin last weekend and said that there were four of the cutest little kittens using the wood shed as their home. My wife and I went up this weekend and sure enough they were there to greet us. I went up to do some work. Did you ever try to stain a back porch with 4 kittens trying to get on where you just put the stain? The one jumped up on the porch and hit the wet stain and all 4 paws went out and it slid on its belly. I ended up having to put plywood around around the porch to keep them off until it dried. the kittens were out running around all the time, but we didn't see the mother the whole weekend. I'm no cat lover and was not too happy about them being there, but they were fun to watch. My youngest daughter who has 2 cats and a 3 year old son wanted us to bring one home. She called up a couple of times to see if we were going to bring one back. I kept telling her no! The Kitten slept the whole way home on a towel on my wife's lap. I don't win a whole lot of arguments with 3 daughters and a wife!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 11:13 PM

Re: Camp Kittens

I hope there is a Mt.Lion in the area

Nature can teach us alot.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 AM

you won't have to worry about mice around the cabin

or chipmunks, songbirds, rabbits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:40 PM

I'll take the mice.

1A-2F
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Sage

Hope the kitten gets to the vet's right away for a checkup and its shots?

Many ferals have assorted diseases that need immediate treatment, but if your daughter has cats, she probably already knows that?

We've had a few feral cats around our camp over the years and the only reason they didn't get thumped, was because we have tons of field mice, voles and deer mice around there.

Some years ago a neighboring farmer had a stray cat show up at his place and "blend in" with the barn cats. Within a week or so, it attacked and bit him on the thigh. Cat was shot and tested, rabid. So he had to go thru the shots and all his farm cats were killed and buried.

I am not a big fan of feral cats, especially out in the "middle of nowhere". Not only can they transmit diseases like rabies and distemper, they are hard on bunnies and ground-nesting birds.

Idiots from town usually take unwanted cats/kittens out in the sticks and drop 'em off to fend for themselves. But for some reason, it is apparently unacceptable to shoot them, as well as their cats?

Buddy of mine once caught a guy dumping a box of kittens on his farm, in a little gulley along the road. He went down there with a flashlight, wrote the guy's plate number down and told him he was calling PSP. Took the guy almost an hour to round up the kittens in the briars and thick brush, while my bud stood up on the bank shining his Maglite on 'em.

My guess? The dimwit probably drove outta sight and dumped 'em out again, down the road.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntered
I hope there is a Mt.Lion in the area

I have CDO, its like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order the way they should be.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

My cabin is not out in the middle of nowhere. There are 2 locals that live within a couple of hundred yards. They both have cats, the one has a bunch. I think one of their cats just decided to have kittens in my wood shed. Two years ago there were 4 kittens staying under my neighbors trailer for a while and then they dissappeared. I'm hoping these dissappear til the next time I go up, which will be in about 3 weeks.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When my Uncles were still alive, any feral cat lasted only the time it took one of them to load the shotgun.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Sage

Hey Mike, my kinda guy your uncle....
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Sage

I had the same problem at my camp in Potter where 3 kittens took up residence. I couldn't bring myself to shoot them, so I just tolerated them while I was there. I went up for a week and they were nowhere to be found. Funny though, a family of red hawks where perched in the trees around the cabin for the whole week I was there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page