Electric or Generac standby Generator 7k propane - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Electric or Generac standby Generator 7k propane

Guys, need some good opinions. I am thinking of getting electric at the shabin but the install cost is 3 grand. My other option would be to place a 7 kw generac generator(runs off propane) the standby model, 30 ft from shabin and hope it never walks away!! This genny costs 2 grand by the way. I'm running the shabin off a honda 2000 watt genny for past 7 years but would like to stop hauling gas and genny back and forth. Any ideas would be helpful if anybody has experience with generac generators....thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Electric or Generac standby Generator 7k propane

I would not put in a 2 grand generator with the rate cabins are being broken into..I would continue to take your generator back and forth.Maybe buy a bigger one to take to camp with you..
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:07 AM

Spend the 3 grand to get electric in. Then you don't have to haul anything back and forth or worry about getting ripped off.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cslabs
Spend the 3 grand to get electric in. Then you don't have to haul anything back and forth or worry about getting ripped off.
+99

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a Generac gasoline generator that I use for power outages. I bought it for the contractor to use when I built the house. Bought it rather than pay for a temp electric setup. Purchased at Home Depot 11 yrs ago for about $800. It is only used for emergency power now but has always worked great. With that said, there isn't anything more convenient than being on the grid, IMHO.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Spend the extra $$$ for the electric!! I have two cabins which I visit both frequently... My first camp has full electric and my second camp is run off the generator.... I would take flipping a breaker on any day over hauling gas, pouring gas, starting the generator, and the small amount of noice the generator makes!

With gas at $3.62 a long weekend end cost us about $100.00 in gas.... I can get a lot of electric for $100.00.

Flipping a breaker is a great piece of mind..... I'd go with having electric put in....

Then if you want, you can put an alarm system on you camp!

Good Luck,

Tooth

SGT
United States Marine Corps
1992 to 1997
HMH-464 Avionics
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Generac makes pretty good generators. I have a 15 year old 5500 watt that sees pretty hard and frequent use in my business. Just used it to power essential items in my house (refrigeration, water, lights, etc.) for three days after the Hurricane Irene. Starts easy and runs great.

Downside, it's loud and takes a lot of gas.

For your camp, I agree with the other posters, get the electric service installed. Especially if your only spending an additional $1,000.00 over the generator set up.

Keep the Honda as a back up.

Eh...wot?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Sage

Buddy of mine bought a couple acres in Potter with a "cabin shell" on it, back in the early 90s.

Even though the REC line went up the dirt road in front of the place, he didn't want to "pay an electric bill" on a place used about a dozen times per year. So it was wired inside and set up for a generator hook up for the new unit he'd bought.

He hauled that 5000W critter back and forth for about two years, finally got sick of it.

Called me and wanted to know how much I'd charge him to install a 200A service. REC mandated a mast kit service, so I stopped over to make up a material list when we were both at our camps, (his camp was a 20 minute drive from mine).

Later that fall, he picked me up here at home around 4 AM and we took off for Potter. Installed the service, gave him the number to call for Commonwealth Insp. Agency and he got me back home around 8 PM that night. First time in my life, that I went to Potter and back, the same day.

For the $25 to $30 per month that REC charges for electric service, no way I'd ever spend a pile of money on a generator for a camp and lug it back and forth? Service was once a tad spotty up at my camp, with numerous outages due to storms. Last few years, we've had more outages here at home, than I've had at camp.

Although, if one were to buy a large generator for emergency use at home, guess hauling it to camp wouldn't be a bad alternative to hooking up to electric service for just a few trips per year?

Some guys I know with a camp over near Osceola, have never had electricity, due to the cost of running the line up their hollow. They got by on a propane fridge, stove and lights, for many years, plus a small Honda 120V portable for some elec. use at camp.

Then a few years ago, another camp farther up the hollow was built and had the power line extended, so now they can have electricity if they want it? Last I knew, they still hadn't bothered to get connected?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Denny's post reminded me that my camp is the last stop for electricity. The four camps below me have never had it. Two always ran off generators. The other two have gas fridges and lights and have a spring fed cistern up the hill behind them that supplies water to the camps.

Eh...wot?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 03:12 PM

No electric at all for our camps. I get by with a solar panel, charge controller, and 4d Battery. All the power I need. Tv, CFL lights, radio. Propane fridge stove and heat. For the life of me I can't figure out the camps near me that run their generators 24/7. Are they afraid of the dark? Can't they live without TV being constantly on? Need to run a 3000w coffee maker instead of a percolator or a french press? I go to camp to get away from noise, they must like it.
Only time I run my generac is when my wife wants to use a hair dryer!
For 3 grand I'd put in electric, you'll easily get it back when you sell.
BTW I've been told propane carbs have issues when the temperture gets real low, probaly due to the water content in propane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page