Black walnut tree value??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Black walnut tree value???

I saw a post in the for sale forum that had 6 walnut trees listed as needing to be taken down and the guy is looking for someone to pay $3500 for them, roughly $600 a tree. This is not intended to start a debate on that post but just that I had no idea they were worth that much. Is that really the going rate for 24-30 inch black walnut trees? I'm only asking as we have quite a few at camp that were planted in the yard generations ago with the thought of selling them down the road and I'm now curious about it. That very well may be accurate, I honestly have no idea but was hoping someone may have more experience with it.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

https://lovebackyard.com/how-much-is...ut-tree-worth/

Check out this link, if you haven't already. If not diseased, which is pretty common in the black walnuts, they could be worth $1,500 or more
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:27 AM

There is a lot of factors that go into determining the value of your trees. If you want a price for your trees I would start with a logging company. Other people may have more insight into who to call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:34 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I've sold walnut that brought in high dollar offers and walnut that they could take or leave. Its all in the quality and size of the trees. Be sure to talk to more than one logger. Id get at least three bids.
nomad_archer likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 06:00 PM

One other thing to consider is that a lot of buyers don't want anything to do with "yard trees". There is a walnut in my parents back yard that they called around to see if they could get it taken down for lumber. Only one person came to look at it and walked away promptly. Regardless that this tree was on a field edge until about 15 years ago when the area was developed. I've been told they don't want the risk that someone sunk a nail in it for whatever reason. Not sure if the same would hold true for a camp.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 09:33 AM
New Arrival

Iíve been running a portable bandsawmill for 20 years. The price of standing timber is less than logs on the ground.
Rough cut lumber is worth more than logs. Kiln dried lumber is worth more than air dried.
You need to talk to a County Forester to get basic information. If you want to do your own research you can make a dollar.
If you want a sure thing hire a consulting forester.

Resource: Forestryforum.com
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 09:48 AM
The Man

There is an Amish fella with Horses been loggin in my area just for Walnut the last couple years.I don,t know what he is payin but he is always busy.The logs he takes though are small and short.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 10:02 AM
Regular Visitor

do your research a lot of shady characters in the logging business...cut n run!!!!
jeffs2813 likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 10:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

A couple of my neighbors had black walnuts cut last week and they got $100 per tree.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 10:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I remember being still of Jr. hunter age sitting w/ dad at his Motorcycle Club meeting hearing that the power company was adding additional lines and needed to take down one of the properties black walnuts and they were offering a flat $500.00.

Probably 1966 or 67.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page