Famous Camp Locals - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Famous Camp Locals

I thought I'd start a fun little thread. When you head to camp there's always a few locals that just about everyone knows or has a good story about. I thought it would be fun to mention them and see if any members have had run-ins or stories to share. It will be fun to see how many members know the same people. I'll start.

When I was younger I went to camp in Mckean County. Hazel Hurst.
We used to go to the Village Inn and there was a local named Hammy. All I can remember about the guy was he drank Zima and on first day of buck he would have a huge fire in the woods to keep warm that you could see him light up while it was still dark out in the morning. You could see where he was from a few ridges over!

Up here in the Kelletville area Uncle Mike is a legend. He froze to his driveway overnight in single digit temps and survived! Those days are behind him now but a true legend!

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 05:21 AM

Lol, GHH, I think I met him before.!! ( guy in Hazelhurst).
We used to go in that place for a really “dusty” beer, after fishing Marvin. First time we rolled up, my old late friend Joe who showed it to us, said don’t take your waders off, you’ll need them in here...lol
The place was a mess, but the bartender/owner had good stories. Especially about his sons misadventures with chainsaws!!
Every time we now pass it, we have a good laugh. Disappointed that if finally closed down.

"Enjoy the solitude of the great outdoors, where you are alone but never lonely"--William Conrad
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 05:50 PM

There are no others??
I thought this post would take off.

"Enjoy the solitude of the great outdoors, where you are alone but never lonely"--William Conrad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKSTER View Post
There are no others??
I thought this post would take off.
I know, I'm shocked! I thought this would be a really good one that would bring up a lot of conversation and people would have some familiarity with each other possibly.

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Ok I'll try again I guess. So all the guys and gals who have places up this way in the Sheffield/Bluejay area have to know "Crick Bich". Can't spell it the right way but female dog.

Last edited by GermanHillHunter; 03-14-2018 at 09:32 PM.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:53 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

When did that place in hazel hurst close? I used to live up there in the late 90s early 00s. was it located right on rt 6? or down a side street?
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've met the creek bich.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmic35 View Post
When did that place in hazel hurst close? I used to live up there in the late 90s early 00s. was it located right on rt 6? or down a side street?
Right on 6. I don't know when it shut down. It was 25 years ago when I ran around up there. I just remember Hammy and one of the barmaids named Penny. Also that was the only bar that I've ever seen that had Gennessee on tap.

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavsteve View Post
I've met the creek bich.
I see your from up Kane. Was she runnin around up your way or were you down here?

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:41 PM

My family was from the Moshannon/ Mountaintop area. As a kid in the early 60s, I visited many of the camps out in the Sproul SF on 144. My grandfather and uncle sold and delivered 100 lb propane bottles to the camps, and I’d ride along, particuraly around the deer season opener. My family built the Gulf station at the x-roads of 144 and 879 in the late 50s, and many camp folks would stop in for gas and groceries. It was high adventure for a kid see all the activity of the hunters after Thanksgiving.

I have recollections of several old camps that were lost when SGL 100 expanded in the early 60s. The Hartline, Remington and Snaps camp were all tore down. We used to have a fish fry of fresh caught brookies at Snaps every summer, it was on Big Sandy Run. I believe it was owned by the Chambers family who owned many of the coal mines on the mountaintop. I think it was built in 1906.

My grandfather, who was born in 1905, used to hunt out of the Pine Plantation Camp on Eddy Lick Run. He would go out on a horse drawn wagon and stay for the whole season. This would have been in the late 20s and early 30s. Later he hunted from the Stagger In Camp, also near Eddy Lick.

My grandparents boarded hunters at their home in the 40s and 50s. They paid $50 dollars for the week, room and meals. They usually had about 15 hunters, all from the Lancaster area. In the late 50s they got their own camp in the German Settlement, calling it the Mason Dixon Camp. As a kid my grandfather would take me out to look at their meat pole full of bucks, and also bear in bear season. We were invited out for a meal during deer season. This was many years ago, all the first generation and most of the next one are probably gone now. Those fellas hunted hard on steep side hills of the West Branch of the Susquehanna, many miles from the road. They kept a boat at my uncles place and sometimes put in at Karthus and would float downriver to recover their game. No one’s ever going to hunt as hard as those did back in the day.
bigguy54 and GermanHillHunter like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page