Landmark Camps in the ANF - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Landmark Camps in the ANF

Driving home from camp I pass quite a few other camps. Some of them I kind of consider what I think of as "Landmark Camps" because first off they have been there for a long long time and second because I have heard people using them as landmarks when giving someone directions or describing where a place is or telling where something happened. It also helps that they have good names that everybody remembers.

Three that come to mind for me are Point Camp at Seldom Seen Corners and Ross Run Rangers Camp and the Cochranton Hunting Club both on triple six. Back in the day those were all busy camps and there was always someone around, not so much any more but the camps are still there and hopefully will be for decades to come.
Know any other camps like this in the ANF? Ill bet Ill know where most of them are.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

I live about 3 minutes up the hill from the Ross Run Rangers. It's on German Hill Rd though, before you get to the T at 666 at Whig Hill. We always refer to it as the diarrhea camp because of its color. Maybe we're talking about a different one. I see some trucks there on occasion. They keep it nice! I saw the biggest bear I've ever seen in their front yard one night last summer on my way to pick up dinner from Cougar Bobs.
Buckskin Dave likes this.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!

Last edited by GermanHillHunter; 03-11-2018 at 07:03 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:07 PM

interesting post, always like reading these type of post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:20 PM

Ross Run Rangers has been there for years, In the 1960s and 70s the place seemed to be busy every weekend. Charlie's Roost at the T of German Hill Rd and 666 is another one from way back, when giving directions is always mentioned.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanHillHunter View Post
I live about 3 minutes up the hill from the Ross Run Rangers. It's on German Hill Rd though, before you get to the T at 666 at Whig Hill. We always refer to it as the diarrhea camp because of its color. Maybe we're talking about a different one. I see some trucks there on occasion. They keep it nice! I saw the biggest bear I've ever seen in their front yard one night last summer on my way to pick up dinner from Cougar Bobs.
Geese your right, it is on the German hill rd. What was I thinking? And yeah we are talking about the same camp, diarrhea does describe the color. And they do keep that place up. But it used to be occupied quite a bit. Dont often see any one there now.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem760 View Post
Ross Run Rangers has been there for years, In the 1960s and 70s the place seemed to be busy every weekend. Charlie's Roost at the T of German Hill Rd and 666 is another one from way back, when giving directions is always mentioned.
The last two times I've been past Charlie's Roost the place was packed with trucks. I never saw much action there and was surprised to see the place packed up like it was. And this was recent. Wonder if it changed hands?

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanHillHunter View Post
The last two times I've been past Charlie's Roost the place was packed with trucks. I never saw much action there and was surprised to see the place packed up like it was. And this was recent. Wonder if it changed hands?
Maybe it did. But if its being used its a good thing.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:42 PM

Charlie's Roost, anybody remember in the 60s and 70s when there was always big Cadillac's or Lincoln's parked there, and till a few years ago, a couple of them where still sitting in the garage behind the place. The old timers in the area have some pretty good stories to tell about the place. Go further back that lane and some of the folks from the Roost built a bigger and more secluded place at the end of the lane. A guy from Tionesta told me he worked for a building supply company and was delivering lumber to the place and was met by armed security.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I had been told by one of our camp members that there was a paid cook at Charlie's roost
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:46 PM
The Man

I hardly ever see anyone at this place, maybe two or three times in my entire life, but we have always used it as a landmark for directions and such. The Three Crows Lodge in Brookston. All the rest of the camps that I would have considered "landmarks" have been torn down or are long sold or abandoned.
mad4268 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in