Potato city inn closing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Potato city inn closing

My wife told me today that she saw online that potato city is closing in late April and they are going to auction everything off. Such a shame. That place was an iconic landmark to us as we have camp on Denton hill. I remember when I was young before cell phones we would go there to use the pay phone to call back home once a day to report while staying at camp. Hopefully someone buys it and keeps it going. Although it seems a long of places are closing up shop up there. Seems to be quite a few more homes for sale up there then usual as of late. All good things must come to an end I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:11 PM
The Man

I agree that it stinks, but it's not surprising. The guy who owned it also used to own the Sylvania restaurant down by Ulysses that also closed down a few years ago. The food was okay to pretty good, but the prices were high for what you got. Every time I've been in there, there just weren't many other people in there. And that level of support will not keep a place open for long. Where it sits, there is just not enough local population to support it year round and the seasonal support, like many places in the NC region of PA has dwindled over the past 10-20 years. Running a business in that region of the state is not what it once was.
Dennis Hill likes this.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:28 PM

I agree with kudu58 ,we have a camp near Ulysess and it seems some of the camps aren't used like they was a few years back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

It's a shame! A lot of good establishments are going the way of the dodo bird!
A Germania icon, the Waldheim probably won't be far behind!
EAGLEUSMCRET likes this.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Sage

Been by there a few times, friends built a home on A Frame Rd. across the street, they were big time Snowmobilers..
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 08:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It's being torn down and will eventually be the site of a new State Police Station.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 08:07 PM
The Man

It's not really relevant and I don't know why this thread brought it back to me but late last spring I got a flat tire coming across Billy Lewis Road and I pulled over to change it in the Potato City parking lot. That was around 7:30 pm on a Saturday and there were only a couple cars in the lot.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 08:16 PM

kudu58 my parents and I haven't been in there in years either, but I heard several rumors over the years they weren't doing to well. big bear are you sure on that , the State Police just built a new barracks not far from there about ten years ago ,this is the first I heard of this
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 08:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hill View Post
kudu58 my parents and I haven't been in there in years either, but I heard several rumors over the years they weren't doing to well. big bear are you sure on that , the State Police just built a new barracks not far from there about ten years ago ,this is the first I heard of this
Yes. The "new" station was built around 20 years ago. They don't own the current building and will not own the new one. It's leased and the lease is apparently up.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 08:58 PM

thanks for the information bigbear ,I didn't think it was that long ago .time flies when your having fun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page